Saturday, December 17, 2016

Peter Johnston, Jr., to Peter Carr, December 4, 1812

[Peter Johnston, Jr.,  at Abingdon, Virginia, to Peter Carr, Esquire, at Carr's brook [Carrsbrook], Virginia, December 4, 1812, care of P. C. Johnston, folder 12, Trigg-Floyd Collection, Special Collections, John Cook Wyllie Library, The University of Virginia's College at Wise (formerly Clinch Valley College), Wise, Virginia.This is my rough transcription. Spelling in the original text contains use of the old-fashioned "long s" -- i.e., when the letter "s" is doubled up in a word, the first "s" looks more like a lower case "f."] 

My dear Carr,

I can not express my regret on your abandonment of a pursuit, which seemed to me peculiarly suited to your temper, and habits, and in which you were likely to render so much benefit to them. It affects me in a particular manner: because, there is not a possibility of obtaining a good school in this quarter of Virginia, and I am so entirely out of the way of information here, that I know not where to find one for Edward, and two other promising boys, who have reached that period of youth when the loss of time is a most serious misfortune. I have lately understood that Mr. Girardin intends the establishment of a school in your neighborhood. I am ignorant of his qualifications as a tutor, but have heard a good character of him in Richmond. If you approve him, do me the favor to secure Edward a situation with him.

I am afraid you resemble Ogilvie, in one trait. All his pupils were the cleverest fellows in the world. But, how far this apprehension operates, you can judge, when I tell you, that the flattering picture, which you have repeatedly held up to me of my sons, has almost turned my head, while I believe that you do not yet know my finest chap. But, I must check myself on this subject, lest I should, like all other silly parents, betray an extreme degree of weakness with respect to it, Is there not some reason to fear, you have spoiled me, and Edward too? There are few children, however generous, or intelligent, their minds, that are not liable to much injury from excess of praise. I flatter myself still, however, that your language and conduct to him have not indicated that extremely high opinion of him, which you have expressed to me. I will not offer you my thanks, for the friendly and affectionate attentions of Mrs. Carr & yourself to our sons; because, my heart is alive to much more than I can say upon such a subject: and, because, to tell you the truth, it was what you had taught me to expect.

My sons Peter and Charles are eager to enter the army, and, with my consent, would not hesitate to place themselves in the ranks of private soldiers. But, I shudder at the thought of subjecting them to all the consequences which must result from an association with vulgar vice, as the soldiery of every army is composed of. In September I wrote to Mr. Munroe [presumably James Monroe], and requested him to nominate Peter to such a rank, as an intelligent, respectable young man of 19 or 20, might fairly claim I addressed myself to that gentleman, because I had not the slightest personal acquaintance with the Secretary at war; and perhaps was guilty of a breach of etiquette. However that may be, I have not heard a syllable on the subject since. I am somewhat inclined to believe, from various unimportant incidents, communicated to me by others, that I am no favorite at court. I had hoped, however, that when all sorts of persons were obtaining military appointments, a young man, for whose honor, courage, and zeal, I solemnly pledged myself, might have succeeded to a lieutenancy, or to some other office proper for his acceptance. I will not deny to you, that the refusal has wounded me, not a little. I have mentioned it because, perhaps, you can give me some explanation.

I rejoice most heartily at Mr. Madison's reelection to the Presidency. But I fear he will experience tremendous difficulties in conducting the war, unless the government Congress will abandon their infatuated reliance on volunteers & militia. I know this sentiment is not considered as perfectly orthodox amongst republicans. But, I appeal to every man's recollection, who had an opportunity of observing the mischievous effects if depending, as we did in the revolutionary contest, on the services of men engaged only to continue a short time in the field. Facts this incontestably proved, that a few weeks, or months, occupied in the dangerous and laborious duties of a soldier, produced so bitter a dislike to military life, as to make it impossible to raise an efficient force. My mind is so much interested on this point, that I can scarcely refrain from dilating upon it. 

Peter is, I presume, provided with sufficient funds to make a final settlement with you. If it should turn out, tho', that I have miscalculated, be so good as enough to let him retain money enough to bring him and Edward home, and, any balance which may remain due to you shall be remitted, as soon as you shall have informed me of its' amount. Say every thing, to Mrs. Carr, for Mrs. J. & myself, which your own heart tells you we wish you to say & accept for yourself the warm affection of your friend.

Peter Johnston 
Abingdon Dec'r 4th 1812
  
[Peter Johnston, Jr. (1763-1831)
Peter Carr (1770-1815), Thomas Jefferson's (1743-1826) nephew. For more, see this link.
Edward = Edward William Johnston (1799-1867)
P. C. Johnston = Peter Carr Johnston (1793-1877). He did, indeed, become an officer: third lieutenant, Twelfth United States Infantry (regulars), March 29, 1813; second lieutenant, November 14, 1813; first lieutenant, November 1814. Disbanded in June 1815. Regimental depot (or dépôt): Staunton, Virginia. The regiment served on the Northern (Canadian) front and in Maryland. Regimental battles included Frenchman's Creek (November 28, 1812);  Crysler's Field (November 11, 1813); engagements in Lower Canada (1814); a detachment at Bladensburg, Maryland (August 24, 1814); and Fort McHenry (September 13, 1814).

See William A. Gordon, A Compilation of Registers of the Army of the United States, from 1815 to 1837, inclusive. To which is appended a list of officers on whom brevets were conferred by the President of the United States, for gallant conduct or meritorious services during the war with Great Britain. (Washington: James C. Dunn, 1837), p. 25: 

http://archive.org/stream/compilationofreg00gordrich#page/24/mode/2up
    

Charles K. Gardner, A Dictionary of All Officers who have been Commissioned, or have been Appointed and Served, in the Army of the United States, since the Inauguration of their First President in 1789, to the first January, 1853 : with every Commission of each, including the Distinguished Officers of the Volunteers and Militia of the States, who have Served in any Campaign or Conflict with an Enemy since that Date, and of the Navy and Marine Corps, who have Served with the Land Forces : Indicating the Battle in which every such Officer has been Killed or Wounded, and the Special Words of every Brevet Commission (New York : G.P. Putnam and Co., 1853), p. 254.


Louis Hue Girardin (1771-1825). Moved from Richmond to Albermarle County, where he ran a school at his Glenmore estate, circa 1813 to 1815. He also worked in cooperation with Thomas Jefferson and, with access to the latter's library, on a history of Jefferson's time as governor during the American Revolution.

Ogilvie = James Ogilvie (1760-1820)
Mrs. Carr = Esther "Hetty" Smith Stevenson Carr (1767-1834)
Charles = Charles Clement Johnston (1795-1832). It seems as if he became a sergeant in the 7th Virginia Militia Regiment (Sauders'), which was involved in coastal defense. He was only nineteen when the war ended. 
Mr. Munroe = James Monroe (1758-1831), Secretary of State, who did become Secretary of War in 1814.
Secretary at war = William Eustis (1753-1825), until early 1813.
Mr. Madison = James Madison (1751-1836), US President until March 4, 1817.
Mrs. J. = Mary Valentine Wood Johnston (1768-1825)
Map: Principal Campaigns of the War of 1812, Combat Studies Institute, United States Army.]

[Many thanks also to William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires