Friday, December 16, 2016

Peter Johnston, Jr., to Francis Preston, May 23, 1811

[Peter Johnston, Jr., at Montgomery Court House, Virginia, to Col. Francis Smith Preston at Abingdon, Virginia, May 23, 1811, folder 11, Trigg-Floyd Collection, Special Collections, John Cook Wyllie Library, The University of Virginia's College at Wise (formerly Clinch Valley College), Wise, Virginia. This is my rough transcription. Spelling in the original text contains use of the old-fashioned "long s" -- i.e., when the letter "s" is doubled up in a word, the first "s" looks more like a lower case "f."] 

Dear Sir,

The intelligence communicated by your letter of the 11th was altogether unexpected. I regret extremely that it will not be in my power to take up my residence at Fruit-hill, & look forward with little pleasure to the occupation of any house, within my reach, in your village. Smith's building, which we visited, is a house to which I have not an objection, except that arising from its locality. It is probably my best prospect at present, & I must beg you will do me the favor to secure it, without delay, upon the lowest possible rent; if there is any person at, or near, Abingdon, authorised to contract for it. In the meantime, I must also request you to write by the earliest conveyance, & inform me whether you can accomplish the thing, or not. I shall go to Richmond about the 10th of June, & will either see, or communicate with, Mr. Smith, in relation to the subject.

I am truly grieved for the death of the old dog, and should be disconsolate, if there was no chance of supplying his place. But, there is a good reason to believe, that such an animal as an aged hound may be easily obtained from any one that has him. I shall certainly obey your injunction in taking to your country, when my family shall remove, two or three young dogs, of the best breed, & most promising qualities. A friend of mine, who possesses an excellent pack, will furnish me with any number of puppies that I may want; and is actually raising me several at this time. It will be but fair to excuse an attempt, once or twice a month to get a little fresh venison, when the sole circumstance, which prevents my dining on it today, is, that my gun last evening would not fire while I had a stout deer, in open ground, within fifty yards of its' muzzle. All I ask is, that you will no destroy pregnant does, and will leave game enough to afford us good sport at the season when it is in its' prime.

My best efforts will be made to effect such arrangements as will enable me to bring Mrs. J. & our sons to Abingdon, at the commencement of the next circuit: since that will save me four or five hundred miles travelling. Present me most respectfully to Mrs. Preston, & your charming lasses, and accept the sincere assurances of my esteem & regard.

Peter Johnston
Montgomery Court House May 23rd: 1811

[p.s.] Should you write to me, be pleased to direct your letter to the post office at Farmville. 

[Peter Johnston, Jr. (1763-1831)
Col. Francis Smith Preston (1765-1836)
Smith = unsure. In 1811, George William Smith (1762-1811) was Governor of Virginia until his sudden death in the Richmond Theatre Fire on December 26. He may have owned property in Abingdon.
Mrs. J = Mary Valentine Wood Johnston (1768-1825)
Sons = several Johnston sons; Jane Mary Wood Johnston would be born after the move, on November 26, 1811.
Mrs. Preston = Sarah "Sally" Buchanan Campbell Preston (1778-1846)
Charming lasses = several Preston daughters]

[Many thanks also to William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]   

1 comment:

Commentaires