Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Joseph E. Johnston to Eliza Johnston Hughes, March 18, 1866

[Joseph Eggleston Johnston at Baltimore, to Eliza Mary Johnston Hughes at [?], March 18, 1866. Box 25, Folder 2, Robert Morton Hughes Papers, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529. This is my rough transcription.]

Baltimore
March 18th 1866

My dear little Lizzy,

Lily received your affectionate letter in due time, soon after coming to this place from Richmond, & derived great pleasure from it, I assure you. Since then, altho’ improving in health she has been unable to write. Her condition is now better in a general way, than it has been at any time during the last year. I have never been despondent, but am now very confident of her recovering. She came here to nurse her sister, instead of which she has required & received that sister’s tender & unremitting care. I think that quiet, comfort & the attention of the excellent physician who is managing her care, will be more beneficial to her than any change of climate, until the summer. Then I hope that your scheme of passing the summer at some of our mineral springs, may be carried out. Before then I hope to be able to visit Abingdon myself. I want very much to see brother Peter, & if at any time he can come there, I’ll go too, to meet him. I shall write to him on the subject in a few days.

Your aunt will probably spend all the time of spring here. Where she has not only the services of an eminent physician, who understands here case, but the society of a brother & sister, besides some of her earliest friends.

My own situation is materially changed. Such a revolution has been made in the organization of this express company, that I am not sure that it will be proper for me to remain in it. The next week or two, however, will probably define my position.

Your aunt sends most affectionate greeting to you & the boys – remember me to Mr. Hughes

[p.s.] I go to Richmond tomorrow

Affectionately
J. E. Johnston

Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1807-1891)
Lizzy = Eliza Mary Johnston Hughes (1825-1909), his niece
Lily = Lydia Milligan Sims McLane Johnston (1822-1887), his wife
Her sister = [?]
Brother Peter = Peter Carr Johnston (1793-1877), his brother
A brother = probably Robert Milligan McLane (1815-1898)
Mr. Hughes = Robert William Hughes (1821-1901)
Express company = National Express and Transportation Company 

[Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires