Monday, November 28, 2016

Joseph E. Johnston to Eliza Johnston Hughes, August 28, 1863

[Joseph Eggleston Johnston at Morton, Mississippi, to Eliza Mary Johnston Hughes at [?], August 28, 1863. Box 25, Folder 2, Robert Morton Hughes Papers, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529. This is my rough transcription.]

Morton, August 28th 1863


My dear Lizzy,


A Telegram from John Warfield has given me the intelligence for which your letter of the 19th prepared me. May god give dear cousin Sally strength to hear this blow -- & how you will grieve My dear child, for him who has so long given you all the love & care of a father. Be assured that I sympathize with you deeply, & deeply mourn his death myself, for I have lost in General Floyd the best friend my manhood has known.


God bless you dear Lizzie, kiss your boys & cousin Sally from

yours affectionately
J. E. Johnston 

[Morton was (and is) located on the rail line east of Jackson, Mississippi

Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1807-1891)
Lizzy = Eliza Mary Johnston Hughes (1825-1909), his niece
John Warfield Johnston (1818-1889), his nephew
Sally = Sarah Buchanan Preston Floyd (1802-1879)
General Floyd = John Buchanan Floyd (1806-August 26, 1863). As Secretary of War in 1860, Floyd advocated for Johnston's promotion to brigadier general in the US Army. He and Sally had partially raised Lizzy after the death of her parents] 

[Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires