Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, July 6, 1869

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Rosedale, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, July 6, 1869]

Col. Smith's 
Rosedale [Russell County, Virginia]
July 6th 1869

My darling, how long it seems since I wrote, or had a letter!  And yet it is only a week. I thought I would not write again until I heard from you, especially as I have had no word from you since you received my letter for consent, I do so long to know if it satisfied you. I hope so eagerly for a letter tomorrow. Only think how patient I am forced to be. One mail per week!  And in Tazewell, the same same. We have been here a week. What a change it is, to be sure. From the atmosphere of gloom, discontent, starvation . . . bad management, continual crisis and low-bred churlish neighbors to this great rambling, hospitable old house -- full of careless good-humour in the person of our jolly restless chatty hostess -- goodness in our host, entertainment constant and varied in the visitors -- relations of Mrs. Smith. Viz. Her sister Mrs. Maynard quite an elegant woman from Richmond, and sensible mother, a true lady -- and her four girls -- the eldest a charming little thing of 16.* Two younger play with Nellie and the little one is Harvey's companion and sweetheart. There is also a cousin a Miss Ida Evans from Richmond, a pleasant intelligent young lady.

We have received attentions from the immediate neighbors -- gentry, all of them; and I confess it is a treat to once more mix with "my own kind." I find low people very trying in ["Eastville, evidently" -- pencil  note] a social way.

And such dinners and suppers as we have had spread here in our honor! I was afraid at first my children would disgrace themselves with astonishment, but the dear chaps have behaved well. I shall be sorry to leave all this pleasantness, but in spite of persuasions to stay, we must go on to Tazewell tomorrow morning.

I have engaged a wagon from the Mills to come up and take us over.

I cannot tell how long we will remain in Tazewell. Will write from there as soon as I can possibly send a l letter.

Before I forget it let me tell you -- rather let me suggest that you might send the story of Little Willie to Demorest's "Young America" 838 Broadway N. York. 

I will look over my things and see if I cannot find the directors of another child's paper or mag. that might take the illustrations. I keep copies of everything [(she wrote) -- pencil annotation]. I am enjoying myself, consequently am improving rapidly in health, and am in fine spirits. I want to draw a good deal while in Tazewell. But don't intend to worry over anything. Am almost through with my sewing, and intend to take things easy now. I do not regret my past three months, have already forgotten the most disagreeable past, and will all soon fade away.

I am so anxious to know what you are determining on. This Mrs. Maynard is preparing to go . . . [ends here -- page missing?]

*[pencil annotation: Blanche? After wards Mrs. Gwin of Calif. (1854-1936), daughter in law of the --- and mother of Mary Bell Gwin. One of the girls was Sally Maynard of San Francisco]

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1821-1878)
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Nellie/Ellen = Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951)
Harvey = Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)
Col. Smith = John Henry Anderson Smith (1847-1879)
Mrs. Smith (his mother) = Mary Douglas Anderson Smith
Smithfield, Rosedale, Russell County, Virginia 

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires