Monday, September 12, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, April 13, 1869

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, April 13, 1869]

My beloved one


I reached here this morning, left Liberty last night. Found snow here 2 inches and snowing in such a storm all day, that when at last after indefatigable efforts uncle Bev procured a conveyance, the storm was so fearful and the day so far advanced that both he and cousin John thought it impossible to go to-day. So here I am, trying to have patience, to compose myself. The physician whom uncle Bev sent over from Abingdon expected to return today, but up to this hour has not come. Whether it is on account of the storm, or because mother is worse we cannot tell.


I received your telegram -- for answer, I must say my beloved, do no wait if it interferes in the least with your matters. I am now composed. I have recovered from the first frantic feeling of yesterday, and now I think I can go through whatever may come. If you could remain in Washington a few days longer without inconvenience, I would be very glad, for I would like to send you word when the decisive change comes either for better or worse. I go over tomorrow, no matter if it does storm.


Every one is kind and good as can be. Uncle Bev wants me to leave the children here, but if mother is to die she must see these her first and best loved grand-children.


The travel and anxiety make me feel sick, but do not be uneasy, my own dearie, I have a good constitution, and great powers of endurance. Your telegram will be answered as soon as possible.


I hope that the state of suspense will be ended tomorrow. 


Your own wife


[Note: telegram from 
Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Liberty, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, Received at Willards [Willard's Hotel]. 438 N St. April 12, 1869. "Received telegram saying mother is very ill -- I go tonight."] 

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1838-1930)
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)

Mother =  Jane Mary Wood Johnston (1811-1892)
Uncle Bev = Beverly Randolph Johnston (1803-1876)
Cousin John = John Warfield Johnston (1818-1889)
The children = Nellie/Ellen/Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951) and Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928) 


Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires