Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, July 11, 1869

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Jeffersonville [Tazewell], Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, July 11, 1869].

[Pencil note: "A few stray cousins were methodist but the family all Episcopals except the Catholic Lee branch" -- and John Warfield Johnston crew].

My dearly beloved,

Here I am in in [sic] Jeffersonville [Tazewell] with cousin Mary, and cousin Henry Bowen attending Methodist Conference! Mother and the children are at cousin Henry's [Maiden Spring complex] with Victoria and the old rheumatic gentleman who you may remember. Nellie is rather forlorn missing the nice little girl companions she had at Col. Smith's but Victoria has promised her various rides on the pony and a trip up into one of those lovely valleys, so that Nellie is comforted. As for your boy, he is ----- well, I was interrupted again -- we are in a perfect whirl of company, invitations to dinner, tea, to stay all night, or to stay a week, and sermons morning, noon and night. Methodist preachers by the dozen, good eating, and splendid singing. In the midst of it all moves rustling around, the figure of your wife feeling gay and bright, and hearing constantly flattering and deferential references made to General Binckley! [D]oesn't that clap the climax? The natural consequence of all this pleasurable time is that said wifie in her stylish get up of lilac robe and white bonnet looks so well that the young men ask cousin Henry for introductions to the young lady with him! There, old man, what do you think of that? I  only wish you could see how well I look. 

My life for the last two weeks has agreed so entirely with me. I am gaining flesh and my cheeks are quite well colored. Above all I find I am bright in talk. Fun comes up naturally, and I realize that I amuse and interest those around me. I have had the entertaining of all cousin Mary's great houseful of company.

The Bishop and two other ministers return with us tomorrow to spend the night, and I have several expeditions planned. This much I say of my surface life. The inner I will not speak of now. There is too much -- only last night, when all was still, and I [text switches from ink to pencil] leaned out of the window, and for half an hour before bed my soul by a long gaze, unto the depths of starlit heaven and a heart burst of tenderness towards my love absent in the body, but oh how I longed to be with you in spirit.

It is a great trial to be so long without letters, a mail once a week. I was so disappointed that no letters came for me last Wednesday. I live in hopes of one next W. [Wednesday]. You can imagine how anxious I am. This has been a most egotistical letter, my love. Forgive me. I will write again in a few days.

Your own Mary

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1821-1878)
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)

"Mother" = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892) Nellie/Ellen = Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951)
"Your boy" = Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)
Col. Smith = John Henry Anderson Smith (1847-1879), Smithfield, Rosedale, Russell County, Virginia 

Victoria = Victoria Miller (1837-abt. 1910?), daughter of James R, Miller (1802-1872), and sister of "cousin Mary" = Mary Elizabeth Miller Bowen (1828-1887), wife of "cousin Henry" = Henry Smith Bowen (1820-1887), who was a brother of Louisa Smith Bowen Johnston (1800-1873), who was the mother of John Warfield Johnston (1818-1889)] 

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires