Tuesday, May 15, 2018

John Milton Binckley to Charlotte Stocker Binckley, November 10, 1862

[John Milton Binckley at Washington City to Charlotte Stocker Binckley, November 10, 1862. Extra paragraph breaks added for easier reading.

[Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing a scan of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source.]

                                                                    Wash DC 10 Nov 62


My dear Mother


I have your letter of the 31 and answer it in bed. I am a little better of about 11 days' illness complicated with some serious derangements of which jaundice is the last shape the thig has taken and I am deeply salivated now I have not for five days & nights partaken of so much nourishment as is contained in a cup of coffee -- not more than a spoonful of which I can take at once. So you see I can fast as well as eat.


I am in no danger but that of losing my patience & breaking down my poor wife.


I would certainly not write now but when I saw the pile of letters & business which have accumulated before me, I am afraid to put off anything.


We were greatly surprised at what you say of naming the newcomer. Knowing your lifelong detestation of what is the dearest name on Earth to me, Charlotte, as well as Sister's equal dislike, it never entered my mind that you would desire it. We did indeed think of giving you the naming of the child according to your fancy, but I was determined that Mary should have her fancy -- not mine, & not anybody's.


I knew she had some name she would prefer, and after my standing and solitary condition, to wit = that it should be a single name & short; I would not permit her to consult about it. 


At last it came out, Rosalie -- and a very pretty name with Binckley, I think, too.  Now she has one child after her fancy. I, one after mine (Ellen). Father's name was almost a devotion, & Allen's naming his John Henry was almost the act of the whole family.


If 40 boys were born in the family, I would be for naming the fortieth John if all the others should die.  


It seems ridiculous to ask why George don't write.  If he will just say he gets my letters, I'll write on.


Poor George! If I could only continue some way for him to live here!


As to your PH -- I deeply deplore the settled gloom which seems to envelop him, & from but which I no more hear  his solemnly melting words.


By this time I suppose you are at Allen's from what you wrote. Tell me in your next all about PH and Allen's children.


If we do not look out better, we will have families grown up about us before they learn each other's names.


Adieu my dear Mother and I will go to my pillow

                                   Milton  

[Mary = Mary Louisa Michel Binckley (1838-1930).
John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).
Mother = Charlotte Stocker Binckley (1788-1877).

Rosalie Binckley (October 1862-June 15, 1864).
Ellen = Ellen/Nellie/Nella Fontaine Binckley (1860-1951).
George = George Michael Binckley (1828-1885).
PH = Philander H. [Henry?] Binckley (1826-1898).
Allen = Allen Otho Binckley (1826-1876).
John Henry = John Henry Binckley (1861-1948), named after John Henry Binckley (1788-1849).]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires