Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Allen Otho Binckley to John Henry Binckley, September 5, 1843

Cleveland and Ohio City, 1851. From: A History of the City of Cleveland (1896)
[Allen Otho Binckley (age about sixteen) at Cleveland, Ohio, to John Henry Binckley at Somerset, Perry County, Ohio, September 5, 1843. Postmarked te same date, Ohio City. Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. Additional paragraph breaks added for easier reading.

Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing a scan of the original document.]


                                                       Cleveland Sept 5th 1843

Dear Father and Mother

I received your kind and affectionate letter Dated August the 7th and 8th a week ago yesterday and would of answered if before, but [I] had no opportunity of going to the City through the week. I did almost begin to think that you did not intend to Answer me but the Appearance of your good and affectionate letter Banished all such silly though[t]s. 

I am very sorry to learn that [you] have been visited with that distressing Malady that has taken its Rounds almost throughout the States. I myself did not escape without a small Call. I was not able to . . . . back or sheet for some time though my health has been very good since. In speaking of going West I don't think I shall go any farther West than I am at already. It is my intention to not stop here any longer than Possible.

I am determined to come home this fall if it can be accomplished by any means however. Come I will if god spares my life. I think I shall be able to Come in the course of next month if I have good luck.

My motto is "Homeward Bound By Sea or By land." I think that my Course is pretty near through with at least all the Lakes. I think "A Sailor's Life at Sea, don't Suit Me." -- I have tried it and it won't "Gibe no Way I can Rig it" the next course I tak[e] will be for home and won't stop on the Passage.

I could not help spreading my provision "Scuttle" on a kind of good and easy way to think that Father thought of my getting "spliced" in the place that I have Been filling in the Past year or two that is something that never troubled my Ship what would do with a Better half I would have as much use with a ship's top my head as I would the . . . it means something that will . . . do me any good. But they tell me that I am a curious Child any way and if I had not Written Something that gave me Reason to think So you would not of thought of it.

I can't take care of myself What I do with a Wife well suppose I was to get married, what then. Why the answer of the Business is this if I was to get a wife I would have to get one that would take care of me . I could not take care of her. I would have to as "Lover McNeill" done, get some old "Widday." But it is an ill wind that Blows . . . Body Good -- as the Capt. said When his vessel went ashore I will go to . . . with you as . . . want me to go . . . 

Get a few Clothes more than what I have got and then for now. I think you will be Better Satisfied in the Southern Country than in this, you spoke some about my Bad Writing. This place is . . . the Ink along you must Excuse my Sailoring . . .

I hope to be with you shortly.

My Best Respects to . . .
My love to you and My Brothers.
Write soon good by[e] your Son
To his Father & Mother A. O. Binckley 

[Allen Otho Binckley (circa 1826-1876).
John Henry Binckley (1788-1849).
Charlotte Stocker Binkcley (1788-1877).]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires