Thursday, May 17, 2018

Allen Otho Binckley to John Henry Binckley, July 14, 1840

US Census, Ruhrfisch (2006): Stark County, Ohio, including Canton (Wiki Commons)
[Allen Otho Binckley at Canton, Ohio, to John Henry Binckley at Somerset, Ohio, July 14, 1840. Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. Additional paragraph breaks added for easier reading.

Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing a scan of the original document.]

                                                                   Canton July 14th 1840

Dear Father and Mother

I embrace the opportunity of sending you a letter in answer to some questions that you asked me concerning what churches we had here in this place and whether I went to your church or not.

But I will tell you we have a German and English Lutheran Church, a Methodist and Presbyterian.

I have, never, to tell you the truth, went to your Church since I have been in the Place. My Master is a Presbyterian and says I must go to there [their] Church for my Uncle said I must go to their Church Every Sunday and set with them in their Pew, I told Mrs. Saxton that it was you requested me to go to your Church sometimes for you said that you would like to have me go to the Church that you belonged [to].

But she said I must go to theirs for my uncle said so and the reason was that I did not Belong to any. I have not been to any accept [except] the Methodist one and got a scolding for it. George Saxton was along. [T]here is no Episcopal Church in town, there all But one Catholic Church in town or county.

When I am . . . Home . . . I will go to what church I please and not ask Mrs. Saxton.

[T]here was two men severely wounded by the Cannon in the Place as Monday last they were Celebrating the Sub Treasury. Father what do you think of the first Curse of the subtreasury and what will be the last. In Columbis as We hear they were one man killed on the Fourth July by the Cannon. In Millersburgh [H]olmes county on the same day there was one killed.

I hope you will not think half of me for sending so many letters and causing you to pay o much Postage, for it does me so much good to Write home, for I think of home for I have no Place to go to in truth I have no Father ot Mother to go to When anything is Wrong. 

I like my Place very well and feel reconciled for I . . . the Best of Company I go with the Boys and quality of the Canton Boys nothing here at Present.

My sincere love to you and the children. Your affectionate child A. O. Binckley.

P.S. Uncle and the family are all well, if I was to write all I want it would take about 3 sheets.

[pencil note: "This was Allen Binckley, a little boy apprenticed to the editor of a newspaper in Canton . . .] 

[Allen Otho Binckley (circa 1826-1876).
John Henry Binckley (1788-1849).
Charlotte Stocker Binkcley (1788-1877).
Saxton = Family of Johhn Saxton (1792-1871), publisher of The Ohio Repository. George Saxton was no doubt related also to George DeWalt Saxton (1850-1899). According to his entry on Find a Grave: "Brother to the first lady Ida McKinley. George Saxton was murdered in Canton, Ohio, on October 7, 1898. He was approaching the home of his lover, the widowed Eva Althouse, when his former love, Anna George, shot him."]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires