Thursday, January 26, 2017

John Henry Wood to James Madison, 1820-1821

[Adapted from: “To James Madison from John H. Wood [at Albermarle, Virginia], 22 December 1820,” Founders Online, National Archives, last modified December 28, 2016, http://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/04-02-02-0157.]



Worthy Sir                                                           
I am induced from many considerations to address you in a manner which may [be] a surprise; but it is cheifly [chiefly] at the instance of my mother, with whom you have been well acquainted. The influencies [influences] to this address it is surperfluous [superfluous] to mention, the contents of this letter can the better tell, but a word to the wise.

I will deem it proper to premise, that the small pecuniary aid I am about to ask, would be most willingly afforded by my mother cou’d it be done without the Sale of a negro to which she is extremely averse, & indeed make it a matter of conscience. I wou’d give ample Security for the loan of a few hundred dollars, say from 2 to 500 for six or twelve months.

The 2 or 500$ wou’d be prefered [preferred] inclosed [enclosed] by the Servant, or in one or two months hence at which time a bond with Sec[u]rity for whatever Sum your goodness wou’d name, wou’d be brought over ready filled up with some known character.

I might tell you of the great value of money in this county, & how the favor wou’d be appreciated by myself and most excellent parent, & that I shou’d regret exceedingly sacrificing of my negroes who are of the valuable kind (Watermen) but this wou’d be entirely unnecessary. My mother has been repeatedly disappointed in receiving no visit from Mrs. Madison (our relation) whenever she came to the county. She entertains a most sincere attackment [sic] for yourself, & the warmest affection for her who was once so kind to her youngest daughter during her visit to her cousin in 1801 in Washington, as also for her repeated kindnesses to Mrs. Stras & daughters in your Presidency. She, My Mother, desires her most affectionate regard to Mrs. Madison & high esteem for yourself in which permit me to unite. With due consideration 

I am Yrs. most respectfully
Jno. H. Wood


[Adapted from: “To James Madison from John H. Wood, 5 January 1821,” Founders Online, National Archives, last modified December 28, 2016, http://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/04-02-02-0169.]


Albemarle Jany 5th. 1821.
Worthy Sir,

Permit me to thank you for your polite and friendly Answer to my letter. My application was certainly predicated on the presupposition that whatever relief you cou’d grant me consistently with engagements & obligations (of which we all are surrounded) wou’d have been done with willingness.

On addresses for pecuniary aid I shou’d always be entirely indisposed to afford any, cou’d I suppose the embarrassmt [embarrassment]  to have originated in extravagance and dissipation. My truant days (thank heaven) are over and gone. It is chiefly the affliction of my unfortunate wife for more than two years that has a little enthrald me for the present, but shou’d I meet tolerable luck this year I expect to be entirely freed from pecuniary wants.

When ruminating on the embarrassm’ts of Life, it is not unfrequent that my mind is Struck with one of the finest pieces of Morallity contained in any paper of the Spectator. Father, says a youth, “thy fortune is a very wretched if there be not another World”—true, son! And what is thine if there be another?

My venerable mother (wou’d that I was worthy to be her son) seems to feel all the respect & veneration due to yr. exalted virtues & talents, & that sincere affection so eminently due to Mrs. Madison, her relation; to whom with yourself, I beg leave to subscribe myself most sincerely
Jno. H. Wood

[James Madison (1751-1836) 
Dolley Payne Todd Madison (1768-1849) 
John Henry Wood (1776-1850) was a son of Valentine Wood (1724-1781) and Lucy Henry Wood (1743-1826); his siblings included Mary Valentine Wood Johnston (1769-1825) and Martha Wood Southall Stras (1768-1834). Martha's daughters: Maria Wood Southall Van Zandt (1787-1862), Lucy Henry Southall Cutts (circa 1790-1868) and Emily Catherine Stras (1803-1872).] 

[Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Susan Davis for their ongoing research collaboration.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires