Sunday, October 2, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, Early July 1867

[Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel at Abingdon to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, early July 1867. The chronological placement is from evidence in the text. This is a long fragment, with the beginning missing].


[Abingdon, Virginia. Early July 1867. A preceding letter, dated June 30, 1867, is here]

Later.

I was interrupted. They all came home from church, cousin Eliza Hughes with them. She stayed to dinner; has just gone up to the other end of town to see Mrs. John Floyd taking Nellie with her in the carriage. I am to spend next week at cousin Eliza’s.

As yet I have not heard of any country board that would suit either Mrs. Stanbery or Mrs. Pleasants. But I have heard of several excellent springs in this vicinity very well kept, and from 8 to 10 dollars a week fare – will write more particularly in a day or so. There is a very pretty place rented since the war by a northerner and his wife (nice folks) where I might possibly get board for Mrs. Stanbery. Where is Mrs. Wilson going to spend the summer?

Now to our own matters, I am really anxious to know how the experiment with Wall turns out financially. [P]lease write to me about it.

I am going to put up some jelly and preserves – will also make arrangements for getting my winter’s supply of butter.

But in the midst of all this I must stop to remind you of your promise.

My love your health is more to me than any thing else. I know you find now your temptations to over work multiplied a thousand fold, but I must use my privilege as “Wife” and insist on systematic relaxation. I have been away from you know about a month and as yet you have not paid one of those many “promised visits” – I feel your hand-clasp and see your eyes still looking into mine as you said “I will take care.”

I have received Mac’s paper (God prosper it!) one weekly and one Daily Int. Left the daily for Mr. Smith to read your leader & am going to send the weekly (when all here have read it,) to cousin Henry Bowen’s father-in-law – such a bright fine old man. Completely helpless with rheumatism in lower limbs – reads from morning to night. I promised him papers now and then.

If your housekeeping has been satisfactorily economical, you can send me some money. I would like to have 15 or 20 dollars.

I don’t think Sue will be married this fall: but can’t tell. I like him better and better, but he is so shy, I can’t get to talk to him yet. Imagine anybody standing in awe of me!  Absurd. I will find out something definite in a few days, and write you, as I am most anxious to have something definite settled on about that vacation I am determined you shall have, if I have to appeal to Mr. Stanbery myself.

Mother tells me Nellie has written to you. She will write again soon. She and Harvey were really grieved over poor pussy’s decease. They send all manner of loving messages to you, to Grandma, and Mister Wa-all. They call me. Good bye, my own

Your Mary

[p.s.] The medicine Willie wants is 1 oz. of Prophalamine (I believe that is spelled right) [possibly prophamine, an antihistamine]
½ oz.  Aconotine [an analgesic]

[A succeeding letter, dated July 18, 1867, is here]

[$10 in 1867 worth about $150 in 2016
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley (1838-1930)
Cousin Eliza Hughes =  Eliza Mary Johnston Hughes (1825-1909), married to Robert William Hughes (1821-1901), one of the Abingdon lawyers, and wealthy
Mrs. John Floyd = Sarah "Sally" Buchanan Preston Floyd (1802-1879)
Nellie = Nellie/Ellen/Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951) 
Mrs. Stanbery = Cecilia Key Bond Stanbery (1820-1889)
Mrs. Wilson
Mrs. Pleasants
Mac = MacCartney
Wall = Joseph Wall
Daily National Intelligencer (Washington, D.C.)
Cousin Henry Bowen’s father-in-law = James R. Miller (1802-1872)
Henry Bowen = Henry Smith Bowen (1820-1887)
Sue = Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel (1845-1940)
Him = William Meade Taliaferro (1840-1913)
Mr. Stanbery =  Henry Stanbery (1803-1881), US Attorney General from 1866 to 1868
Mother = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
Harvey = Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)
Grandma = Charlotta/Charlotte Stoker/Stocker Binckley ~ "Mother B." (1788-1877)
Willie = Dr. William M. Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908)]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires