Sunday, September 18, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, July 18th, 1867

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, July 18th, 1867].

My dearly beloved,

After a night full of dreams of you, it is rather trying to have to write instead of talking to do. But it is better than nothing. One of my principle objects in writing is to mention to you a request of cousin Eliza's.

It seems there is a Mrs. Floyd, a most forlorn "war-widow," ruined in health and property, and burdened with various children -- her oldest child a boy has been taken by the Rev. Mr. Sampson of Columbia College, Wash. City, to educate, and she has written to Mrs. John B. Floyd, begging her to write to the Carrington boys and ask them to extend some kindness to her desolate child. 

Mrs. Floyd hates Ed. Carrington, Senior, so, she will not write (she & cousin E. take sides with Antoinette), but she begs that you will ask the younger Carrington's, who are generous fellows, to interest themselves for this boy, to give him countenance and support and so defend him from those who might look down upon him as a dead rebel's son. I suppose Mr. Sampson sees that he needs for nothing, but it is sympathy from the boys that his mother invokes for him. My beloved, our anomalous position brigs with it at least this blessing that we can be messengers of mercy to either side.

I plead here for the North, for Charity, Peace, Forgiveness, Love of enemies, I can use just the same pleas with Radicals.

My next request is that you will (for my sake) institute some enquiries at Phil[i]ps as to whether there is any probability of getting from Philadelphia or N. York publishing houses the translating of Foreign books, phamplets [sic], and novels. I am anxious to know for mother, before she begins again this drudging little school. 

Mother was just about to write aunt Lilli who would have introduced her brothers in it, but mother got letters from the family that the poor soul was again very ill, and will go to the Springs as soon as she can travel.

I am studying my Spanish. I have neuralgia in my back very often. Mother is having a great deal of trouble with servants.

Now isn't this a disagreeable epistle? You will doubtless think I send only troubles and ill news, but it shall not all be ill. The children are well and happy. I gained 5 pounds the week I was at cousin Eliza's. 

This is a busy week in this community of lawyers. Two courts in session, only eight judges here! This is the greatest place in the state for tall men, fat women and lawyers. Also for aristocratic prejudices and good living.

I had a beautiful walk day before yesterday, and this porch the very place to enjoy moonlight nights. Only I get lonesome for you, especially when I see those young lovers together.

Goodbye my darling. Soon may you come to share my simple pleasures, my pure delights.

Yours as ever
Mary 

[John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley (1838-1930)

Cousin Eliza = Eliza Mary Johnston Hughes (1825-1909), married to Robert William Hughes (1821-1901), one of the Abingdon lawyers, and wealthy
Mrs. John B. Floyd = Sarah "Sally" Buchanan Preston Floyd (1802-1879)
Edward Carrington, Sr. (1825-1892)
Antoinette = Marie Antoinette Swope Carrington (1830-1896)
Mother = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
Aunt Lilli = Lydia Milligan Sims McLane Johnston (1822-1887), married to Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1807-1891)
Her brothers = Robert Milligan McLane (1815-1898), Louis W. McLane (1819-1905), Allen McLane (1823-1891). The children = Nellie/Ellen/Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951) and Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires