Friday, September 9, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, October 9, 1868

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Washington City to John Milton Binckley at New York City, October 9, 1868].

Friday morning

Washington
October 9th 68

My dearly beloved


I had a letter from you yesterday dated [the] 5th and containing a check, which I got brother Phil to cash for me -- he has been so kind lately -- comes up often to see if he can be of any use to me.


From your letter I know that you had not then rec[eived] my last, and I almost hope it is lost, for I was feeling miserable when I wrote it -- am glad to be able now to say that I am decidedly better. Am taking a cough syrup which is soothing and loosening this cough. I hope now soon to recover.


This little piano has been such an "immense" comfort to me since my sickness. But enough of myself. 


I am concerned about your cough -- do take care of yourself. I am glad you are going to get a new pair [of] slippers.


I spent yesterday with Mrs. Mac. She was quite exercised over the dispatch in the morning papers to the effect that the Case had been dismissed. Thought the whole thing at an end, & that you both would be home Soon. But I do not think it Can be. There must be some undercurrent.


I must go down street today to pay bills &c and I think I will go in and see "Mother Stevens." And I think I will buy myself something pretty -- it will be quite refreshing. Did Mac tell you how he teased me about the two barrels of greenbacks? Now don't kill yourselves -- we two forlorn ones have had a taste of widowhood, and don't relish it.


The children are pretty well. Harvey has a cold, but I keep cough syrup on the mantel, and watch him. 


I must go -- when shall I see you?


Your own Mary


[p.s.] Mother wrote a most grateful letter, and sends a piece of good news. Wm. Taliaferro has taken a solemn oath to abstain from drink, and is devoting himself (for the first time in ten months) assiduously to his business. I know you will rejoice for Sue's sake.


[Annotation in pencil: This is a reference to the efforts made by the famous "Whiskey Ring" to bribe Mother while Father was prosecuting them. She was merely to recall him on some pretext from New York, where he had gone on this business, and be rewarded by the "two barrels of greenbacks." She of course ordered the briber indignantly out of the house]


Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1838-1930)

John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Brother Phil = Philander H. Binckley (circa 1827-1898)
mother = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)
William Meade Taliaferro (1840-1913). Disabled veteran, had served in Company E, 11th Virginia Infantry and Company E, 2nd Virginia Cavalry. Shell wound at Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862; head shot and left foot shot, leg amputated, Raccoon Ford, Rapidan River, October 11, 1863. Eventually committed suicide with gunshot to the head. 
Sue Henry Mitchell Taliaferro (1845-1940)

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires