Saturday, September 10, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, September 27, 1868

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Washington City to John Milton Binckley at New York City, September 27th, 1868].

[first part missing. Pencil annotation: "Written in Wash. -- Sept. 27th 1868 -- "]

. . . came for full developments, as I saw that Courtney has not yet been arrested. I am watching the papers, will try and get from Mac a copy of that Express article, and send it to you. The Int. is still, evidently, on the side of the "whiskey ring."

Brother Flan was here a few moments Wednesday, did not know you were away until then: has not been here since. If I When I get get over this cold, I intend visiting some of my neighbors in the evenings, and keep myself busy in the morning, so as to pass the time until my old darling comes home.

A letter from Sue came yesterday at the same time yours did, and she says William has a prospect of getting free tickets on North, if he does, she may be able to come on and see me for a few days. She says the baby is perfectly well and pretty, if crazy for us all to see him, sends special love to her "Brother."

Later, Mr. Yeaton called a while ago to say he was going on to-night & offering to take an any parcel, &c. I did not see him, and this was not finished, so I had no call upon his services.

I would like to go over to Baltimore for a day or so in October, if all goes right with you. Can I?

And if you stay much longer, won't you write me about your plans for the winter so I may know just what calculations and arrangements to make, that's a good dear boy!

Nellie is going to write, so I'll stop, since dinner I feel so much better that I think I will got out and take a bit of a walk, as I haven't been out for three days. 

Goodbye
Mary

My dear papa

I miss you so much, for when i was seven years old i always woke you up, so that is the reason i miss you so much, Mama has made Harvey a Water-proof cloak lined With red flannel and he thinks he is a man.

your afectonate [sic] child
Ellen Binckley

[Pencil annotations: MacCartney an assistant to JMB in his prosecutions of the Whiskey Ring. MacCartney finally went insane.].

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1838-1930)
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Brother Flan = Philander H. Binckley (circa 1827-1898)
Harvey = Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)
Sue = Sue Henry Mitchell Taliaferro (1845-1940)

William = William Meade Taliaferro (1840-1913). Disabled veteran, had served in Company E, 11th Virginia Infantry and Company E, 2nd Virginia Cavalry. Shell wound at Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862; head shot and left foot shot, leg amputated, Raccoon Ford, Rapidan River, October 11, 1863. Eventually committed suicide with gunshot to the head. 
"The baby" = pencil annotation notes "Bennett," i.e. Bennett Crawford Taliaferro, which would move his birth date up one year from later records to July 8, 1868 (not 1869). He died in October 1943. 
Nellie/Ellen = Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951)

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires