Thursday, September 22, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, August 22nd, 1867

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, August 22nd, 1867].

Abingdon
Aug. 22d 1867

My beloved,

I have just received your letter saying that you think Mr. Stanbery will not return by the 1st.

I will not give up the hope that you may yet come, and will go on with my preparations. And please get your clothes ready, so that if you can come you will be ready. If you could start on Saturday the last of Aug. you would get here the next evening and we would go over to Russell Monday. Tuesday evening [September 3rd, 1867] is the wedding.

Please attend to my note to Galt about the presents -- time is flying.

I am up to my eyes to-day getting up tableaux for the girls -- last night we were down at the old house we are to use, having the young men set up the stage &c. and when thro' with that had a fiddler and danced until 12 o'clock! Cured me of a fit of neuralgia -- will dance again to-night.

They call -- I must go -- I shall really pray that you can come. Only ten days more! 

Good bye my love --
Your own wife

[Description of the wedding here]

[John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1838-1930)
Lucy A. "Lulie" Dennis (1845-1923), about to marry 
Willie = William M. Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908)
Mr. Stanbery = Henry Stanbery (1803-1881), US Attorney General from 1866 to 1868

Galt = M.W. Galt & Brothers Jewelers, 354 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington City]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 


Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires