Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, September 6th, 1867

Abingdon [Virginia] [September 6, 1867]

Dearly beloved, I have just returned from the wedding. Mother [Jane Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel, 1811-1892], the children and I went in a nice spring wagon, had a pleasant trip, got there late in the evening. All Monday and Tuesday we were busy helping with the decorations -- nothing else was on hand as most of the cooking was done and the bride was completely ready (she is one of the women who is never too late). So, as no one there knew how, mother and I undertook the table arrangements, and parlor decorations and thanks to skill, and wild flowers, grape vine clematis, some fortunately early autumn leaves with garlands of ivy, we made such a combination as struck the natives with wonder and delight. 

Everything passed off nicely. Willie [William M. Mitchell/Michel, 1839-1908] behaved like a man. Lulie [Lucy A. Dennis, 1845-1923] looked lovely, and charmed every one with her sweet ways. The company was just large enough for the house to accommodate well, and people seemed to enjoy themselves.

Of course everyone was there all night, and to breakfast next morning -- about 12 o'clock, the bridal party set off for Henry Bowen's [Henry Bowen, 1841-1915] which is on the way to Tazewell Ct. H. where they were to be entertained and spend the night. The next day they were to be "dined" in Tazewell at old Col. Witten's. They were anxious to have me go over with them, but I could not arrange it. The children enjoyed the trip immensely, Nellie [Nella Fontaine Binckley, 1860-1951] especially, as she is old enough to appreciate the lovely scenery on the road, and the excitement of company, and a new dress. I had her dressed beautifully and she and Lulie's little nephew held candles for the minister, after an old fashion that I always admired.

After the bridal party and all the guests departed, mother and I and the Smiths took a good rest, and then we came here yesterday. It is a tedious trip of 34 miles and tiresome with restless children, so I would have liked a rest today, but Sue [Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel, 1847-1940] is to have a little company to-night before some young visitors leave town, and I am too busy to write you much of a letter. 

Oh Milton I must see you shortly, I am really homesick for you. I haven't even had a letter lately, and our wedding day [i.e. anniversary] will soon be here. This is Friday -- the 15th is a week from next Sunday. I have a nice trip planned for us to take on horseback, and I feel pretty sure we can manage it. I would like so much to get over into Tazewell by the morning of the 12th. There is to be a tournament at the Ct. House that day. But oh, my dearie, do come so as to be here on our wedding day.

I received the Int[?] with your letter to the President, have not had time to read it. "Be just and fear not." 

I can scarcely realize you are coming to me, hope you have your clothes ready -- remember you must look nice. Bring your trunk. Mother B. only uses it to lay her caps in, and I shall need it coming home. As you may come next week I enclose a list which Helen will be kind enough to fill for me, and have sent up to go in the trunk.


Have been called off -- can't make out list till tomorrow. In haste,

your own wifey.

Will write tomorrow.


[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, September 6th, 1867].


Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires