Monday, January 25, 2016

Willie M. Michel (aka Mitchell) to John Milton Binckley, June 25th, 1867

Tazewell Co. House Va.
June 25th 1867

Dear Binckley,

Not hearing from you, save through sister Lou, and not knowing whether you received the two letters written the past two months, I will scribble you a line or two, and as you are now Asst. Atty. Gen'l, I fancy your mail will reach you.
Maiden Spring
Went to Abingdon last week to see Mother [Jane Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel, 1811-1892] & found Sister Lou [Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley] & the children there, brot [brought] Sister back with me on horseback to Cousin Henry Bowen's [Henry Bowen, 1841-1915], some twelve miles below here on the Clinch River and near Gen'l Bowen's [Rees Bowen, 1809-1879], the place of my nativity. She and Sue will only spend a week or two now and come over in the Fall to be present at my taking the matrimonial cross 3d of September. Now can't you come out the last of August & be present? If you can't why I shall be much disappointed & shall be much tempted to wait until you can be present. Can you not so arrange your duties as to be here then?

I will say nothing of my "dulce," but wait until you can see her & know for yourself her worth & beauty. She [Lucy A. Dennis, 1845-1923] is poor & not proud, no stain on her family, nor any of her name: she loves me & will marry me poor as I am, & work with me up the ladder.

Speaking of this, can I not get a position as asst. Surgeon in the Army or Navy? I can stand an Examination to get my diploma at any time, so Dr. Elliot told me. I have some ambition, now that I have someone to work for, to be at the top of the profession, and I can never so aspire, as a country practitioner. Now do not suppose that I am dissatisfied with my present position or life, but really Milton I would not care to live here always, and die a simple country Dr. I can make as great an M.D. as many a one who has started with no more means nor Sense, and all I wish is the chance.

Think over this, won't you? [A]nd if you think it possible for me to get into the Army or Navy, or a Hospital that would pay me why write me, and let me work towards that End.

Sister Lou's health will be much improved ere you see her; & in fact she has already begun to show a return to both health & good spirits. Sue [Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel, 1847-1940] is rather dauncy; too much in love for her strength; & too much given to follow her own bent, to do what will restore her. I'm strong & hearty as a "bull yearling," & often ride forty or fifty miles for days together: rode twenty-five miles the other day & back by dinner time.

Practice pretty fair, but little ready money to be had. I'm going to take up a little newspaper next week, & try to make it help feed & cloth[e] me and mine.

But I complain of nothing, & thank the Lord that I'm well & able to go. Please send me a common port caustic by mail. I can't get one nearer than Balt. [Baltimore]. I have been singularly fortunate in practice so far, and am looked on in the community as a "monstrous clever" little Dr.

I am glad to hear that Mac is going to quench the Star -- give him my kindest regards & best wishes.

Remember ever with kindred love to Mother Binckley, and assure her that I have never forgotten her.

The shadows are falling over the tops of the peaks which are visible from my window; & the rain falling with its quiet, soothing sound on our old timey shingle roof, invites me to subside into my feathered nest -- so good night, old gentleman, & pleasant dreams.

Ever yours truly
Willie M. M.

[William M. Michel (aka Mitchell) at Tazewell Courthouse, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, June 25th, 1867]. 

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires