Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, September 7th, 1867

Abingdon [Virginia]
Sep. 7th 1867

I wrote yesterday, my dearie, telling you of the wedding and my return here. I told you that Sue [Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel, 1847-1940]  was to have company last night, and as I was busy yesterday preparing, and at night entertaining, I am quite used up to-day. So you won't be surprised to hear that your note was sent up to me while I was still in bed, and I sent down the glad tidings that you would be here in a week. I believe mother [Jane Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel, 1811-1892], has already commenced planning how she will so and so for you to eat.

The dry weather, I am afraid, will knock you out of corn pudding. I am sorry that the country will not look fresh as it would have done otherwise. I wanted you to see it in its glory of verdure. But I am so truly grateful that you can come under any circumstances. I can scarcely realize our blessed change of fortune -- my beautiful summer -- my rosy, nicely clad children -- my beloved husband, the acknowledged peer of the best of the land -- my heart is full of thankfulness -- most of all, for you.

Nellie [Nella Fontaine Binckley, 1860-1951] is trying to write a letter about her wondrous trip to Russell. Tell Mr. Wall I have been so taken up lately with weddings &c that I have not been able to answer his kind epistle. 

I enclosed a note to Helen -- please give it to her as you go home from the office, so she can get the things, and have them sent up at once to go in your trunk -- they are some things the children and I will need if the weather turns cool, ans dry goods are cheaper in W. [Washington] than here.

The presents you sent were the admiration of all. They were the handsomest presents Lulie  [Lucy A. Dennis, 1845-1923] had. If you feel very much like giving me a wedding present you may bring me me a pair of mother-of-pearl cuff-buttons (made like studs) with a "B." enamelled on in black. That's a modest little hint. And fix yourself up nice even out in this little backwoods, you are being heard of.

Mother says please but her tea if you have room to bring a pound or two -- 1/2 lb of black, and 2 lbs best Gunpowder (green) tea. The tea is all you will have to buy for yourself. 

You had better bring an old suit to ride horseback in, and one or two summer things. [T]he weather now is very warm, and they say it is so in the middle of the day for several weeks yet, with cold nights and mornings. I am so sorry you miss these moonlight nights here. 

Oh Miltonius do not disappoint me! I shall be at the dépôt Friday next to meet you.

Farewell my pen! I shall soon (happy thought) speak face to face with my dearie.  

Until them, good bye -- you own wife.

P.S. You can give Helen $20.00. I am sure that will be enough -- it is only shoes for Nellie, some clothse for the children, and a full dress for myself. 

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, September 7th, 1867]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires