Wednesday, August 31, 2016

John Preston Johnstone [Johnston] to Roger Jones, August 1, 1843

[John Preston Johnstone [Johnston] at Greenfield, Botetourt County, Virginia, to Roger Jones, August 1, 1843, to General Roger Jones, Adjutant General of the United States Army, in Washington, D.C., Record Group 94, Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1984, Letters Received, 1805-1889.]

Sir

I have the honor to acknoweldge the receipt of Gen. order no. 42 from the Head Qrs. of the Army, accompanied by a blank form for an oath of allegience; and herewith enclose the latter filled out and sworn to before a Justice of the Peace; I have also to report my acceptance of the appointment conferred upon me, and in compliance with one of the requisitions of the above mentioned orders, to state as my birthplace Abingdon Virginia, and the State from which appointed Virginia. Any further orders which it may be necessary for me to receive will reach me by direction to Abingdon, Virg.

Very Respectfully
Your obt. servt.
Jno. Preston Johnstone
Bvt. Secd. Lieut. 4th Arty.

[From microfilm copy an additional note: "Rc'd August 7, 1843. Commission. Signed in Fincastle [Virginia], 1 Aug. 43 J. Preston Johnstone. John P. Shanks, J. of P."]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires