Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Letter from Clapham: Erik Donald France to Wallace Fowlie, July 10, 1991 (Part V - Finale)

[Though earlier I'd donated to Duke letters from Wallace Fowlie (1908-1998) to me, more recently, in sorting through my files, I came across photocopies of at least some of the letters I wrote to him. Here's Part V of a long one I wrote in longhand from Clapham, London, dated July 10, 1991. Ellipses indicate slight editing (deletion of a few personal details). Extra paragraph breaks added for easier reading. For his other letters, please see Wallace Fowlie Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University. Here's a link to the collection guide.]

But of other bands, I can think of Roxy Music in their first ten years -- citing Nietzsche, there is a lyric easy to remember ("even Zarathustra") because of the emphasis Bryan Ferry gives it in his decadent, campy vocal delivery, carefully pronouncing each syllable. It may be [is] the song "Mother of Pearl." 

There is Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. I recall a proclamation at Morrison's memorial in Père Lachaise: "Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds are following you, Jim."

There is the Clash, who we've spoken about before, & Joy Division, a serious & committed cult status band, whose singer Ian Curtis committed suicide (you can hear the desperation in his voice); also, if you're interested in bands clearly influenced by earlier artistes, I can think of the Pretenders, who adopt Oscar Wilde: "We're all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars;" The Jam, who quote Shelley on one album cover, That's Entertainment! There are the Talking Heads, who began as an art band and became very good, until success spoiled their attitude; and the highly original Elvis Costello, who seems well-versed in language. 
I meant to mention earlier that some early David Bowie has clear references to Nietzsche on The Man Who Sold the World, and that Lou Reed studied under Delmore Schwartz, who, I recall your saying, didn't know French and yet translated Rimbaud (badly); there is the Jim Carroll Band, Jim Carroll himself a poet; & William S. Burroughs has at least two albums out, mostly of his own work.

Iggy Pop's Lust for Life refers, on the title track, to Burroughs' writing, and his reflective song "The Passenger" takes one of Morrison's images, of "the city's ripped back sides;" & to complete the connections, Siouxsie & the Banshees do a cover version of this. Iggy, who has been characterized by Ray Manzarek as a latter-day Rimbaud is only like Rimbaud the poet in that he is a man in rebellion; Iggy is a poet and rock musician, a different kind of guy, but not Rimbaud. . . (Manzarek was critical to the Doors' sound, without which Morrison sounds like a madman, as on "Horse Latitudes.")

I've tried to make up for not having written sooner. . . I hope my writing is legible; I have no access to a typewriter at the house I'm lodging at.

[Y] told me that you had lunch together but didn't provide any details. . .

I find that diaries, journals, letters, thoughts all blend together in a staged imaginary dialogue which is really a monologue of endless chatter that continues in dreams and occasional nightmares. It is difficult to converse with anyone here on anything but the most basic level; the English are reticent, and it takes a while for them to loosen up . . . 

If you have time to write, please direct your letter to:

18 1/2 Macaulay Rd
Clapham
London SW4 0QX

I hope all is well with you. Warmly & Respectfully 
                                                    your friend,
                                                           Erik

[FINIS.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires