Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Erik Donald France to Wallace Fowlie, July 4, 1992

[Though earlier I'd donated to Duke letters from Wallace Fowlie (1908-1998) to me, more recently, in sorting through my files, I came across photocopies of at least some of the letters I wrote to him. Here's one of them, from when I lived on Spruce Street. For his other letters, please see Wallace Fowlie Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University. Here's a link to the collection guide.]

                                  July 4th 1992

                                   Philadelphia

Dear Wallace,


It has been a long time since I've heard from you, and I hope all's well with you. I will call you after sending this letter to make sure you are all right.


My first semester in the Ph.D program went very well. I have only to write one paper this summer, and am working here through temporary agencies through August at least. The fall semester doesn't begin until September.  


With about ten other people, I am working as a general and music editor for a new magazine called Quo Moto [Quo Modo] Quarterly. The first issue is scheduled to come out in the fall. I'm writing an article about the Ephrata Cloister in Ephrata, Pennsylvania.  I am also working on a short story. I should finish both of these this summer.


[Deleted paragraph].

If you can, please let me know how you are, how your spring semester went, and what your plans are. I am anxious to hear from you!

                                                     As Ever,
                                                         Erik

P.S. I'm listening to Édith Piaf  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires