Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Two Notes from Lucy Waller Massie to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie, circa 1819

[Lucy Waller Massie [probably at Blue Rock or Massie's Mill, Virginia,] to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie at Pharsalia, [Nelson County, Virginia,] [circa 1819]. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers.]

Dear Sister

I have sent John over for the cotton. William was so good as to get for us, and you will if you please take four pounds out before you send it, which is the remaining quantitiy of the twelve pounds I borrow'd from you a long time ago.

If you have the cambric ready send it over and let me go about it, if there is any particular way you wish to have it made let me know and I will do it.

I have sent the Book promised.

We are all well, Elizabeth talks about you and is afraid of your whipping her.

Do come over soon and see us.

                                                                Yours LM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sister

I received your note by Sam, and have sent a suit [or set] of my smallest clothes, however you may judge by the size I have allowed for growing.

The Book, and Sarah's Doll I am afraid to send for fear of their getting wet, as it's now raining very fast.

[T]ell Sarah she must be a good girl, and say her Book every day.

I travel over as soon as I can but you must not wait for me but come over to stay all night or nights as soon as you can.

                                            yours
                                                LM

[Sarah “Sally” Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828) had married William Massie (1795-1862) in 1814. Their son = Thomas James Massie (March 23, 1817-1877). 

LM = Lucy Waller Massie (1791-1822), married to Dr. Thomas Massie (1782-1864) from 1809 until her death. Elizabeth Massie (circa 1816-1820) and Sarah Marie Waller Massie (1812-1844) were two of their children.

John and Sam = couriers, possibly enslaved.]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires