Monday, March 6, 2017

Peter Randolph to Francis Smith Preston, December 10, 1812

[Peter Randolph at Nottoway, Virginia, to Francis Smith Preston at Richmond, December 10, 1812. Preston Family Papers (1755-1836), Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary. Series 2, folder 3.]

Sir,

I received a letter from Judge Johnston, yesterday in which, he states, that, he: "has transmitted a memorial to the Legislature, remonstrating against the extent of the thirteenth Circuit, and proposing a change, which, if adopted, may go to the increase of my labours, by adding Mecklenburg to the present number of my Courts." He further requests "that I may yield my consent to the proposed alteration, so far as it affects me and to write a letter to Col. Francis Preston declaring that assent is made immediately."

Now Sir, with very great pleasure I embrace this opportunity of writing to you; it will give me great satisfaction to become as well acquainted with you personally, as I now am with your character, and perhaps this letter may some time or other lead to that result. But Sir, much as I may applaud the Revolutionary services of Gen'l Johnston, much as I may esteem his friendship, and approve and respect his character, I cannot yield my consent to his request.

If, therefore, it was Gen'l Johnston's intention, to present the fate of his memorial, so far as it relates to the increase of my duties, to be fixed by my agreement or disagreement to the proposition, that Mecklenburg should be added to the fifth circuit, the question is settled by the answer I have given. 

If, however, it is his intention to persevere in the plan of imposing upon me, against my wishes, labours which were not contemplated for me to perform when I gave up my profession, and accepted the office with which the Legislature were so kind as to honor me, I must beg the favour of you to communicate to me such intention by the earliest opportunity. We have a mail here from Richmond on every Saturday, and if no more speedy mode of conveyance offers, you will be so good as to direct your letter to me, Nottoway County, Hendersonville post office.

I do not mean, at this time, to enter into any discussion of the propriety of forcing me to perform this unexpected and additional labour: but it will not be amiss to say, that General Johnston knew, at the time he accepted the appointment he holds, the extent of this circuit, the difficulty of traveling over the mountains, and the dangers of crossing the rapid streams which rush through that part of the country, no man who was raised, and always resided in this part of the state was, I imagine, better acquainted with the geography of that part of Virginia than Gen'l Johnston, he, by the appointment of the Government, among others, has . . . the chain & compass through much of it. 

I say I do not . . . this question, because I do not think it can be Gen'l Johnston's intention to press his memorial without my consent, so far as it is calculated to increase my labours.

If any scheme can be proposed which will relieve Gen'l Johnston, by a temporary or occasional increase of my labours, I shall in all probability consent to it with very great chearfulness [cheerfulness]. But so long as all the other Judges are permitted to remain, in point of labour, in the same situation in which they now stand, I cannot consent that a considerable, lasting, permanent increase of my labours shall take place. 

It is true, Sir, the Legislature may pass such a Law. And if they do, it will be my duty as a public servant to submit to their will, even without a murmur, And to this I shall be, more especially, be inclined to do, since I know they will do precisely what they think right.

                         With my great respect
                          I am Sir your's obd'ly
                                                     Peter Randolph 

P.S. Is not Washington a better climate, and is not the price of living cheaper than in Nottoway?

[Peter Johnston, Jr. (1763-1831)
Francis Smith Preston (1765-1835). Served in the Virginia House of Delegates, 1812-1813.
Peter Randolph (1779-1832), Served in the Virginia House of Delegates until 1812, when he became a Judge of the General of Virginia, serving in that capacity until 1820, and then moving to Mississippi.] 

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires