Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Charles Clement Johnston to John Preston, May 13, 1824

[Charles Clement Johnston at Wythe Court-house, to Gen'l John Preston, Cloverdale post office, Botetourt County, Virginia. Box 25, Folder 5, Robert Morton Hughes Papers, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529.]

My Dear Sir

Continued absence on my spring circuit has prevented me from sooner answering your last.

I have not yet succeeded in obtaining from Shugart and Wife their Deed for the "White house": he is illy disposed, obstinate, and very hard to manage. I have tried several different expedients with him and hope now to succeed in the course of two or three weeks. As soon as I do so you shall be duly informed.

I have been extremely sorry that it has been proved to be entirely out of my power to attend the present term of the Chancery Court in Richmond. I had hoped that I might be able to do so and had made an arrangement of my business for that purpose, but unexpected and important professional engagements have put it completely out of my power.

I do not think it however at all likely that our cause will come in for trial this Term: if it does not, it will be in my power to attend the term of the Court in January. In the meantime, if there is any testimony to be taken in the country on referring me to the names of the witnesses and the facts wished to be proved, I will in person attend the examination of the witnesses.

Edward is progressing in his studies, not rapidly as he might do, but evidently to advantage. For the last three months I have not been able to superintend or control him, as I have generally been absent from home. I will however soon have more leisure, and can and will give him more assistance and attention.

Since in your last letter to Edward you have favoured us fully with your future views in relation to him (which if I may be allowed to express an opinion, seems to me to be very judicious) I shall think it advisable to change in some respects his course of studies. I prefer to direct his chief attention and efforts to those branches of study most essentially necessary to qualify him for the course at West Point. Which, therefore, I could by no means have him neglect his Latin (a grammatical acquaintance with which is absolutely necessary) yet think it would better that he should particularly endeavor to read with facilty and distinctness, to write fast legibly and well, and to become well versed in arithmetic. Let him learn not merely to do these things, but to do them well and they form the most solid foundation for an education practically valuable. 

I hope these opinions are suited to your views: if they are not, or if at any time you wish changes made respecting Edward, I beg that you will tell me candidly and promptly and your wishes, whatever they may be will be cheerfully complied with. I have concluded on sending Edward to Walker on account of his excellence in the branches of education just mentioned.

John Floyd, who was here on yesterday, informs me that Mrs. Floyd has been very ill with a bilious fever: the crisis of her disease is now thought to be over.

Eliza, Edward, John and all your friends are [well]. I leave it to my wife to tell you all well [rapi]dly your namesake grows and how sprightly and garrulous (I mean noisy, for he can't quite talk yet) he is.  

Present me affectionately to Mrs. Preston, Susan and Sarah and to William and his family and believe me with respect & affection

                                                                   your obd't
                                                                         Ch. C. Johnston

[p.s.] We are for Jackson as well as you -- tomorrow we have in Abingdon a Town Meeting for him. 

[John Preston (1764-1827), a brother of Francis Smith Preston (1765-1836).  Her was a brigadier general in the militia and, until 1819, Treasurer of Virginia. By this time, his finances were in disarray and he owed the Commonwealth a vast amount of money.  
Charles Clement Johnston (1795-1832)
Eliza aka Elizabeth Madison Preston Johnston (1803-1828)
John Preston Johnston (1824-1847)
Shugart = Zacharia Shugart (1764-1835)

Edward = Edward Carrington Preston (1812-1836). Probably as a political favor to John Preston, Andrew Jackson sent a recommendation on his behalf to John Caldwell Calhoun, for entry into the US Military Academy at West Point, when he was still fourteen! I think he ended up at Georgetown and later moved to Louisiana, where he died at age 25.  

John Floyd (1783-1837)
Mrs. Floyd = Letitia Preston Floyd (1776-1852), a sister of John Preston and Francis Smith Preston. 

Mrs. Preston = Elizabeth Ann Carrington Mayo Preston (1768-1839)
Susan = Susanna Smith Preston (1805-1857)
Sarah = Sarah Radford Preston (1806-1848)
William = William Radford Preston (1798-1846)]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires