Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Joseph E. Johnston to John Warfield Johnston, July 4, 1888

[Joseph Eggleston Johnston at Washington City to John Warfield Johnston at [Abingdon or Richmond,] Virginia, July 4, 1888, folder 603, Trigg-Floyd Collection, Special Collections, John Cook Wyllie Library, The University of Virginia's College at Wise (formerly Clinch Valley College), Wise, Virginia. This is my rough transcription.]

Washington
July 4th 1888

My dear John

I didn't reply to your letter immediately, on account of the inflamed condition of my eyes.

I shall set out in two or three days to inspect Pacific railroads, after which the annual report required will confine me to this district until November, after which it will be too late I'm afraid, for the kind of excursions I proposed, viz: riding over our old hunting grounds. November weather in that climate will be too cold for pleasure, I should think.

What in the name of discretion has taken Ben to Honduras? I can imagine nothing to justify his leaving friends and prospects, for any thing Honduras can offer. Not even the "practice" in Capt Imboden's family.

With love to Nicketti and the children.

Yours affectionately
J. E. Johnston

[Joseph E. Johnston (1807-1891)
Pacific railroads = JEJ was Commissioner of Railroads 
John Warfield Johnston (1818-1889), his nephew
Ben = Dr. George Ben Johnston (1853-1916), John's son
Capt. Imboden = Francis Marion "Frank" Imboden (1841-1929), former Captain of Company H, 18th Virginia Cavalry during the American Civil War; he led a party of Americans to Honduras to attempt implementation of a railroad and mining scheme
Nicketti = Nicketti Buchanan Floyd Johnston (1819-1908), John's spouse]

Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires