Sunday, November 13, 2016

Joseph E. Johnston: Power of Attorney, February 18, 1849

[Joseph Eggleston Johnston at [NA] conferring power of attorney to Bevery Randolph Johnston, February 18, 1849, folder 171, Trigg-Floyd Collection, Special Collections, John Cook Wyllie Library, The University of Virginia's College at Wise (formerly Clinch Valley College), Wise, Virginia. This is my rough transcription].

Know all men by these presents, That I, Joseph E. Johnston have made constituted and appointed and do, by these presents make constitute and appoint my brother, Beverly R. Johnston, my true and lawful attorney in fact, with full power for me and in my name to settle transact and adjust all matters relating to a claim which I, as one of the heirs and distributees of my father the late Peter Johnston have against Col. William C. Preston of South Carolina. I do hereby fully empower my said attorney to collect all such monies as may be due me from the said Preston and to give receipts and acquittances therefore: and generally to do and transact all things in the premises according to his judgment and discretion: and I do hereby ratify and affirm all acts done or to be done by my said attorney under this letter of attorney as fully as if the same were done by me in person. In testimony whereof I have hereto signed my name and affixed me seal this 18th Feby. 1849.

Joseph E. Johnston (seal)

[A "true copy" of the original document
Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1807-1891)
Beverly Randolph Johnston (1803-1876)
Peter Johnston, Jr. (1763-1831)
Col. William Campbell Preston (1794-1860), former South Carolina Representative and Senator and President of South Carolina College, 1845-1851]. 

Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires