San Francisco Call, Volume 69, Number 115, March 25, 1891:
BESIDE HIS WIFE.
The Remains of the Late J. E. Johnston
Interred at Green Mount Cemetery.
Washington, March 24. — The funeral services over the remains of the late General Joseph E. Johnston, almost the last of the great commanders of the Confederacy, took place in this city this morning. By request of the deceased the ceremonies were devoid of ostentation or unnecessary formality, and the simplicity of the service was in character with the man. There was no display of uniforms or battle-flags or military trappings, and the family of the deceased declined the request of a number of Confederate veteran associations to participate. There was a large attendance of distinguished persons.
There were no services at the residence of the deceased, but just before 11 o'clock the remains were taken to St. John's Episcopal Church, accompanied by the family and near friends. Of these there were in attendance ex-Governor McLane of Maryland and James McLane, brothers-in-law of the dead man; Dr. Joseph P. Johnston, Mrs. Taliaferro, niece, with her son and daughter, and George Ben Johnston, grandnephew. There were also present at the church Governor McKinney of Virginia, Mayor Ellison of Richmond, Va., Senators Daniel and Hawley, Captain Thomas Mackall, Judge Robert Hughes, Colonel Sterne, General John Sanders, General Henry T. Douglas and a number of persons from Baltimore.
The funeral party was met at the church by the honorary pall-bearers. They were: Senators Morgan and Daniel, Hon. Mr. Curry, General Parke, U.S.A., General Field, General Heth, Rear-Admiral Rogers, U.S.N., Rear-Admiral Temple, General Wright, General Brice, Colonel Anderson of Richmond, Colonel Harris, Hon. J. G. Bancroft Davis, James Wathough, General Veasey, Commander-in-Chief of the G.A.R.; Vice-President Morton and Senators Cockrell, Manderson and Butler.
The body-bearers consisted of members of the ex-Confederate Association of this city, all men who had fought under General Johnston during the war. There were drawn up in a double line along the sidewalk about 100 men of Robert E. Lee Camp, Confederate Veterans, without uniform, and they stood with gray heads bared as the body was borne between their ranks.
The casket was a plain one, covered with black cloth, and without ornamentation. The silver plate bore the inscription, "Joseph E. Johnston, born February 3, 1807, died March 21, 1891.”
St. John's Church was crowded to its utmost capacity with delegations of ex-Confederates and different societies and many prominent people of Washington. The services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Douglass, rector of the church, and were confined to the simple Episcopal burial service fur the dead. At the conclusion of the services the remains were removed to the Baltimore and Potomac Station, and left here on the 12:10 o'clock train for Baltimore.
Baltimore, March 24.— When the body of General Johnston arrived here, many of his old soldiers were at the railroad station, and they bared their heads as the coffin was borne past them. The remains were laid at rest by the side of his wife in Greenmount Cemetery.
Photo: US National Archives.