Friday, October 7, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, February 1, 1865

[Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley at Eastville, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, February 1, 1865]

Your note of the 26th, my dearie, came to me last night and I only write now to acknowledge it, and have not time now to write a real letter. I am going right into town to send a note down to Cherrystone to Smith & Dunn, begging them to let me know immediately when the things come, so I can send for them. I have on consideration sent for 45 barrels of seed potatoes, which will plant at least 15 acres, mother and I concluding to put in as many as we have time for. I will need guano in ten days. Now shall I write & order it, and have the money sent from you to Balt. direct? The seed potatoes are to be paid for when the crop is made, but I would be glad to pay for them when they are delivered. I must have ready money to establish a credit.

Your mother says "remind Milton of the "Inquirer" he promised to send me." If more things are needed shortly I will go to Balt. myself. Do not trouble yourself my beloved, I will take all the care and trouble of this. I am capable, I do believe. Anyhow this is an experiment and must be fairly tried.

Your willing help mate Mary

[John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley (1838-1930)
Mother = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
Your mother = Charlotta/Charlotte Stocker/Stoker Binckley (1788-1877)]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires