Saturday, October 1, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, circa April 1869

[Fragment, Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Russell County, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, circa mid-to-late April 1869].

. . . not free from the disease which was violent inflammation of the stomach and bowels. When I was sent for they scarcely thought she would live to see me. [S]he is now improving rapidly, and tho' I know my mere presence and that of the children acts like a cordial her constant regret is that she was the means of breaking up my Bedford arrangements.

In a few days I hope she will be well enough for me to settle myself and make my summer arrangements and then I will write at length.

I feel very badly to-day. The reaction from the excitement, fatigue, and suspense and the soreness produced by 27 miles of jolting [during the trip from Abingdon to Russell by carriage]. The children are well. Nellie greatly interested in "little chickens" and Harvey gone down the creek fishing with Willie. This is a . . .

[This fragment is a part of a sequel letter to Mary Louisa's April 13, 1869 letter, link here

She = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley (1838-1930)
Nellie = Nella Fontaine Binckley (1860-1951)
Harvey = Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)
Willie = William M. Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908)]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires