Saturday, September 17, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, June 30th, 1867

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, June 30th, 1867]

Beloved Milton,

I intended to finish my long letter commenced in Russell after getting back here. But was so tired that evening that I had no energy left after smothering my "brats" with hugs and kisses. So I just closed the letter and sent it off.

I had a delightful trip, but was frantic to get back to my children. I must try and moderate my affections.

The trip back was so delightful, the day just right. Bright sun, pleasant breeze, and soft white clouds floating over the sun, bringing to the landscape that exquisite variation of moving shadows and gleaming lights -- you can imagine what a day like that is in the mountains -- it gives new beauties to scenes lovely in any light.

Just before we reached the river ford (about ten miles from A. [Abingdon]), we were surprised by a sudden hard shower, such as are very common among these mountains, and having no shelter but an old chestnut tree we got drenched to the skin. We made a joke of it, trotted on, and soon the sun came out and dried us off nicely.

Sue had never traveled that road before, having gone over in a carriage, and you ought to have seen her look of horror, when after climbing the mountain (Cinch mountain) by the winding road which bad as it is, is a graded turnpike, after enjoying the magnificent view fro the top we rode over a short distance and then turned abruptly into the "Lawyer's patch," a drain right-down the mountain side filled with loose stones and washed into deep gullies! She is very timid on horseback and I really pitied her as we went slowly down more than a mile of such road, that the horses in spite of their careful stepping, stopped constantly till they almost sat down while the stones rattled and rolled, like a small avalanche. But still we enjoyed it. I could not endure to travel over these roads in a carriage, & the bridle paths are always short cuts, so there is every thing to be gained by going horseback.

The wetting must have given me cold for yesterday I had neuralgia, but in spite of feeling very badly, I went out with the children and mother to walk, climbed Nellie's favorite hill to see the sunset light on these sweet peaceful hills and vales, and came home feeling much better.

I was sick this morning but my cold is passing off the usual way and I hope to be well as ever tomorrow. I think my health is steadily tho' slowly on the mend.

One great element of my enjoyment here is the return of old associations and habits. People whose names I have not heard since my childhood I now see, their customs of life, habits of thought, manners, speech all, all renew for me my youth.

Politics is our only point of disagreement, and that you know I avoid; and over and in all other things I feel so dreamily and delightfully at home, at my ease. I find the old familiar plainness of exterior indifferent and often ill kept houses but people of such fine intelligence and cultivation, with manners at once polished and cordial -- they are as hospitable as ever; have taken the loss of their slaves philosophically, go bravely into the kitchen whenever it is necessary; but we all understand each other when we say "we don't like it."

[p.s.] I wish you would remember me cordially to Mrs. Stanbery. If I knew just what sort of accommodation she wished, I might succeed in getting such. I wish she could come. 

[John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley (1838-1930)

Sue = Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel (1845-1940)
Mother = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
"Brats" = Nellie/Ellen/Nella Fontaine Binckley (September 1, 1860-April 27, 1951) and Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928)

Mrs. Stanbery = Cecilia Bond Stanbery (1820-1889), wife of Henry Stanbery (1803-1881), Attorney General of the United States]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires