Sunday, August 28, 2016

Edward William Johnston to Letitia Preston Floyd, May 26, 1838

[Edward William Johnston at Liberty [Bedford], Virginia, to Letitia Preston Floyd at [?], May 26, 1838, folder 80, Trigg-Floyd Collection, Special Collections, John Cook Wyllie Library, The University of Virginia's College at Wise -- formerly Clinch Valley College, Wise, Virginia. This is my rough transcription].

Dear Madam

I accept with the sincerest pleasure, the trust you have committed to me: and embrace cordially, the conditions of cordial regard, which you do me the kindness to ask. In every thing that of hereditary esteem for your race can inspire, in one delighting to maintain the transmission of honorable commissions, and in whatever of still more immediate interest this fine quality of Nicketti herself must give one, I shall not fail. As to any benefits, that my instruction can confer upon her, they shall certainly not be spared. I only wish that my power to teach was in full proportion to her seeming capacity to learn.

As yet, I can scarcely say in what particular parts of knowledge it is most necessary that she be led on. Her understanding is evidently a very fine one, and already familiar with whatever can beget elevated thoughts and a generous aim in study. She abounds in that home-bred intelligence, which your domestic habits are so fit to produce -- the early-instilled idea, that excellence in things of the mind should be the main care of one's life. With the love she has formed for all right and elegant pursuits, and with all the general knowledge she already possesses, my task with her will be, I think, an easy one -- agreeable, and certain to be covered with success.

I have, for the present, set her at French and History, with Music, and the reform of her handwriting. The initiatory parts of the first, she will have to fog in, for some months. She will, however, probably be able, by the end of our present term (the 15th Septr.) to pronounce it with correctness, and read the common style with facility. History, she is in a condition to study with great advantage; and will make a rapid progress in it. Cousin Susan says that her musical ear is excellent: I have myself had an opportunity to judge that. 

There is little danger of her being idle, I think, in the midst of studies attractively presented to her. I have no doubt that she will acquit herself as becomes her in every thing.

I trust that John & Cousin Sally are either arrived, or about to arrive. Pray tell them, that, when they shall have sufficiently rested, it will be a great pleasure to us, and the greatest possible joy to Eliza, if they will come down for a week or two. Present my sincere respects, also, to the new-married couple, with all the good-wishes, that are superfluous when such as they are united. Believe me, dear Madam, with the most affectionate respect,

very truly yours
Edward W. Johnston

[Letitia Preston Floyd (1776-1852), widow of Governor John Floyd (1783-1837) and mother of Nicketti Buchanan Floyd (1819-1908), who would later marry John Warfield Johnston (1818-1889)
Edward William Johnston (1799-1867)
John & Cousin Sally = probably John Buchanan Floyd (1806-1863) and Sarah Buchanan Preston Floyd (1802-1879), guardians of Eliza Mary Johnston (1825-1909) and her brother John Preston Johnston (1824-1847)
Susan = possibly Susanna Smith Preston Radford (1805-1857) of Greenfield Plantation.
New-married couple = not sure at this juncture
Note: Edward would move his "Female Seminary" to Botetourt Springs, Virginia, by 1839, and then disband it]   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires