Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Charlotte Elizabeth Mitchell to John Milton Binckley, April 9, 1860


[Charlotte Elizabeth Mitchell/Michel at Bellevue, Salem, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, April 9, 1860]. 

Belle Vue, April the 9th 1860

My own darling Brother,

You asked me to write to you personally, & I take pleasure in doing so, though you have all heard from me so often already, there is little to communicate except of a personal nature.

Would you could be with me face to face then I might be able to say what seem cold & meaningless often when writing, we would roam over the old hills & have a real cozy time. Nature is putting on her brightest smile, arranging herself in her mantle of green, even the birds lend their notes to testify the love of Him who has brought such beauty out of what! & this lovely Easter is again with us bring to mind that we, too shall again live & & in new beauty is'nt [sic] it a sweet thought.

Brother I mist write this one note for you alone, I must thank you Milton darling for all the brotherly love you shewed me at home, from my heart I thank you, not either for sympathy alone, but for candor, it had the effect of making me more humble I trust &, less exacting, now, I am well & strong, & can calmly remember[?] the past, I hope, I pray, I may be enabled never to wish to think myself altogether in the right, for impatience even under injustice, can never be right, & an undue regard for another's feelings (even when thoughtlessly committed) can never be that Charity, "which suffereth long & is kind," oh no, therefore, the best for me to do is, to look well at myself, & that is what I wish, but I know myself too well, to trust myself again. I am naturally sensitive & proud, & cannot understand any-thing akin to suspicion, & must be treated honourably, or I rebel, it may not be right, don't say it is, because our great pattern was lovely, but knowing this of myself, I would do wrong to place myself in temptation's path again, oh how I wish I could be with you (I won't talk to others now) because for my path of duty is plain, silence is my only chance, to amend my own life, it is not a good way to correct our own faults, to find fault with others. As I said before I thank you for your love, & that sweet promise given without asking, always to be a Brother to me, I can never cease to be thankful for such a brother.

You would rejoice to see how my loved ones are glad[d]ened by having me at home & the kind manner in which all at home & in Liberty are interested in my health. I don't know how it is, this little place has so many who seem to love me so very much, "surely goodness & mercy have followed all my life."

William drove to Wheatly a few evenings since, only for a ride. Aunt Lucy & Uncle Robert were well, servants still sick, typhoid fever

I gathered these flowers, & pressed them for you, as they came out of aunt L's garden

Jack Griffin was in Roanoke last week, he could not stop to see us then but will be a up in a few weeks. My cousins some of them, were in Roanoke to meet him. Uncle John (Dr. Griffin) my loving uncle has kindly made me commence the Cod-liver again, but so far it has agreed with me so well, I try to be submissive, though I am very well to be taking any-thing. 

Do you think I have done wrong to make this a personal letter, & private, if so, just burn it, & don't mention it at all, for I could not help it. I shall write again soon to Lou & Susie.

Love to aunt Binckley, & ask if she got a letter from me a few weeks since? Tell Will I would like to hear from him.  Love to all, but particularly dear Lou, God bless you both my own dear brother, prays your
loving Sister C

[John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Charlotte Elizabeth Mitchell/Michel (1829-1921)

William = probably William Lewis Wingfield (1837-1911), subsequently Lt. Col., 28th Virginia, son of Gustavus A. Wingfield and Charlotte Griffin, grandson of Dr. Samuel Griffin, brother of John Richard Wingfield and Samuel Griffin Wingfield, who were also VMI cadets and Civil War veterans
"Uncle Robert" = Robert Crump Mitchell (1807-1872)
"Aunt Lucy" = Ann Lucy Phillips Mitchell (ca. 1809-ca. 1870s)
Jack Griffin = "Naval officer" (note in pencil)
Dr. John Griffin = John Hook Griffin (1803-1878)
"Aunt Binckley” = Charlotte Stocker Binckley  (1788-1877)
Lou = Mary Louisa Mitchell/Michel Binckley (1838-1930)Will = William M. Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908)
Susie = Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel (1845-1940)]


Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires