Friday, February 26, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley: Five Fragments (circa 1868)

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley: five fragments (circa 1868)].

When I get my things, and get to feel settled I will write you a real jolly epistle. The children are sunburnt and hearty. Can eat sorghum, molasses, butterless bread, & continual bacon at which my soul revolts. Willie and Lulie are greatly discomposed that I should have had to come so soon, before they were fixed as they intended and during what is the scant season. I believe every cow in the country is just about to have a calf! Eggs are my only comfort.

But Milton, I am ashamed to have wasted paper and words on such a subject. When I get out of doors and move, and have my regular work and something to read, I will not be so conscious of what is on the table.

Goodbye my darling goodbye. I wonder if my heart ever will wake up again out of this dull numbness and find again a Thrill of joy or Hope.

Your own
Mary 

["The children" = Nella Fontaine Binckley (1860-1951) and Harvey Mitchell Binckley (1864-1928).
Lulie = Lucy A. Dennis (1845-1923)
Willie = William M. Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908)
Note: Francis M. Bincley was born in June 1868 and died in July 1868].

___________________________________________________________________

Did you see the Express of Monday it quoted half a column from the Tribune in your favor. I received from you yesterday a Herald with a long article marked, also an envelope enclosing Armstrong's report of Metzerott's bill with not a word from you: I suppose you meant me to pay it and I will as soon as I . . .
___________________________________________________________________

The air is so oppressive and close this morning after the rain last night, that it makes me feel worse. A bad cold is a decided nuisance.

Did you see an article in Monday's "Evening Express" in your favor with quotations from the New Yorl "Stockholder"?  I cut it out and enclosed it to your mother.  

I must stop.

Heaven bless and prosper you.
Your own wife
___________________________________________________________________

. . . trim[?] for a continued absence. So I have waited and watched, but all to no purpose.

I confess being greatly disappointed, for I am sick and lonesome.

I was so seriously threatened on Sunday night with pneumonia that I thought best to see a physician. Dr. Latimer has been here twice, and I am getting well now. I am on the bed most of the time -- but . . .

___________________________________________________________________

. . . but if it does not take the form of ague, I shall be entirely resigned to its other ill effects.

Helen stayed with me last night and will come again, if possible, this evening. My dear provoking old darling why don't you tell me whether you are or not going to stay in New York? 

There is not one satisfactory word in your letter except that you are "well." I rejoice over that, but confess to some in- . . .

___________________________________________________________________

Original manuscripts in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires