Thursday, January 7, 2016

Three Short Letters Pertaining to Confederate Prisoners of War, April 1865

Old Capitol Prison, Washington City, DC, 1865
April 26th 1865

In great haste, my beloved I write a line just to say that mother is much better -- and your letter of [the] 22d received, those few words on the back of envelope alternately puzzling and delighting. For we cannot imagine what could take Willie [Mitchell/Michel] to Washington. We are all half crazy to hear from him. We look for news either from him or you tomorrow. 

I enclose a letter that came from poor Fred [Mitchell] to you.

I am up to my eyes planting cotton.

Goodbye till next mail.

No letter from Cromwell yet.

Mary [Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Eastville, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City]. 
Hammond General Hospital
Point Lookout, Md.
14 April '65

J.M. Binckley, Esq.

My dear Cousin,

Your note of 13th Inst. enclosing $10 from Uncle Harvey was received yesterday through the courtesy of Dr. Gardner. Assure Uncle H. [Harvey Mitchell/Michel] of my thanks for this favor. By prudence & care I escaped all attack of fever which at the tie of writing to Aunt J. [Jane Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel]  I expected to have after several days of indisposition, I felt all right & up to this time my health has been remarkably good. I wish to see you all very much or at least some one of you & I trust you will try & so arrange. Dr. G. might be of assistance. I still hope to be forwarded South even tho' [the] prospect just now looks rather gloomy. Do your best to visit me. With much love all I am

Yours sincerely
J [or T.?].F. [?] Mitchell. 
[Note: there was a Lieutenant Thomas F. Mitchell in Company D, 50th Virginia Infantry but identity unclear as of this post]. 

Military Prison Johnson Island [Ohio]
30th April 1865
J.M. Milton, Esq.
Washington City

My dear Brother,

Yours of the 26th inst[ant] was rec’d by me to day. Sorry am I indeed to know that but for your absence I might have now been with you, but I am not the less grateful for your exertions in my favor. And hope the papers may come speedily & surely. I have only to regret that I am sick and have no money, so I shall have a rub getting home, when I get free. I shall do it tho’ in spite of the fact in addition to the above that my hat is but a piece of one & my shoes hardly to be kept on my feet. But let me be free once & I shall come to you, if I eat nothing on the way. I should have had money & clothes too had not some of my brother officers in the Old Capt. [Capitol] Prison [in Washington, D.C.] stolen what I had.

Good bye and God bless you.

Yours truly,
Wm. M. Michel [William Manning or Maynard Mitchell, 1840-1908]
Hospt’ Steward and Prisoner of War

[28th Virginia Regiment?]

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires