Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, November 17, 1864

Eastville Nov. 17th 1864

I having nothing particular to say, my dearie, but just write a line so that you may not feel so very lonesome Sunday. Other days, I suppose you are too busy for sentiment. Truly, Fortune is never so hard as when she separates those whose daily life should be spent together. And yet I do not complain, but yield cheerfully, for Fortune is a kinder mistress than Fate.

We did wish to wait Tuesday and see the boat start but Nellie and I got so chilled with that keen wind that we thought it most prudent to start home; and you know how it is here, a mile or so inland, sheltered from the wind it becomes quite warm. How we did miss you that night. We wouldn't let mother B. go upstairs until late bedtime, and all drew close around the fire, and talked as fast as possible to keep off the "chill heart." 

Yesterday, we were all very busy: mother and father walked to John Scott's to see the condition of his cabbage & pronounced it unfit for kraut, then they went to see the Fisher ladies, who, it is said, will certainly go South, and I think I may be able to get some articles of furniture from them, and probably also a side-saddle. I have written to John Kellam about his horse. Father, I think, will soon be not only reconciled, but well satisfied, so don't let yourself be troubled on that score.

Could you, when you see Dr. Pinkney [William Pinkney, 1810-1883] to give him those little things, could you speak to him about the "Dr. [Chauncey] Colton business?" Mother and I intended to write, but we think you can explain what we wish by word of mouth. If he thinks well of the idea, he will doubtless not only take up a collection himself, but induce Mr. Hall and Mr. Keeling to do the same. Only I think that Dr. Colton's name better not be mentioned to them. Let it rest sacred with our dear Dr. Pinkney. Then if Mr. Zevely [A.N. Zevely, third assistant postmaster general of the U.S.] will frank the letter enclosing the money to me, it will be sure to come straight, and will not be earmarked as Mr. Zevely has written to me once or twice. Then I will enclose it again, direct in a feigned hand, and put in here.

Oh Milton do make Mac[C]artney sensible that those indifferent bottles were the best I could get. Nice bottles cannot be had in Eastville for love or money. And give my warm love to Mrs. Young and the children. You will find a letter to Mrs. Smith in the tray of your trunk. I could find no room to put in your dressing gown & hope you won't need it before Christmas. 

I will look for a letter soon. Poor Nellie talks of you all the time. Complains bitterly of your absence. Goodbye for a day or so.  I will will [sic] write such scrawls as this as long as I am able. All send love.

Your own wife.

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Eastville, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington, D.C., November 17, 1864]. 

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires