Thursday, August 6, 2015

Letter from John Milton Binckley at Washington City to his Mother, May 2, 1861

Wash DC
2d May 1861

My dear mother,

Why don’t you write? It is now a cruelly long time since you wrote. I am the more anxious because I hear there is so much excitement in Ohio, and fear you may be in trouble about the unhappy fate that seems impending like a cloud over the country. Do not yourself trouble about it. Events that seem coming are too great for poor human calculation or responsibility, and can only be spoken of as “God’s will.” If it is gloomy and harmful, we can consider ourselves by nothing but by ascribing it all to Him. You are bound to reason thus by your Christian faith.

You hear the papers tell about Washington City being in danger. I do now know whether the city is in danger or nor, but I know I am safe, come what may, So on that score, give yourself no concern.

Maryland has at last taken ground against revolution, and it is now if not before evident that any prospect of carrying Maryland out of the Union was wicked because hurtful to her people, and finally in the last degree, by reason of impossibility.

I still send you papers, whenever I lay hands on them, but I do not take The Sun anymore because I have no time to read it.

I got a letter from Mary this morning. They had got down to Bedford without trouble, & were all well, & [she] sends her love to you.

Old General Cooke was removed the other day. When I last saw Mrs. Cooke she expressed such cordial and affectionate messages to you that I was tempted to violate my usual rule and try to remember them. I am very sorry for the General.

The old Judge resigned the other day. It almost parted soul from body, but he was afraid to go home without having resigned.

I have not heard from Stewart since he went to Virginia. General Johnston is appointed second in command in the Va. Army.

The Lockes & Cromwells beg to be affectionately remembered. Witzleben[?] is captain of a company of German gentlemen, now in the service of the U.S. Heath is sergeant in another company, and sends you his greetings. I have had as yet but the one letter from Slocumb.

This morning I got a letter from Buncks [Uncle George Binckley], the first for many months. He was at Burlington, about to start a newspaper in a country town again, having given up the notion of the Gazette for the present.

I do not hear from Allen or Philander. Allen surprises me a little – P. not at all.

Twenty-five thousand soldiers are in the city and more coming. Virginia is ablaze with passion and arms. She has made & is making for herself a terrible bed to lie in. She must back down or go to ruin. There is no other alternative. Western Va. Sooner or later will be at war with Eastern Va. And why not? Eastern Va. asks her to give up all that makes law & government & social order valuable, to support the cause of a distant people, who would not give a chew of tobacco for her, & who have brought their own troubles.

I am afraid a northern crusade will come if a battle or two should waken up the roundhead Cromwellian spirit. Let us wait.

The Stars & Stripes are banished from old Va. !!  Her dishonor cannot be far off when the glorious flag is banished.

I have not time now to write more. If you rc’d the draft I have not yet answered, do so instantly, that I may know, for things are out of joint in the matter of mails.

Affectionately
J. M. Milton

Letter from John Milton Binckley (1821-1878) at Washington City to his Mother (Charlotta Stocker Binckley) in Ohio, May 2, 1861. Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of these documents, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance over the past few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires