Sunday, August 18, 2013

Harvey Mitchell: The Lincoln Letter

Here's my transcription of an informative letter sent by Harvey Mitchell (circa 1798/1799-1866 -- name spelled with the latter day variation Michel) to Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War. Many thanks to Mary R. Davy for providing access to a scan of the original document via email communication, June 11, 2013. 

Eastville North Hampton County [Virginia]
January 6, 1865

Mr. President
            My friend [former Commissioner of the General Land Office, 1852-1855] Mr. John Wilson will deliver this with his own hand, & I am sure you will read it. I sent you one nearly the same as this by mail about eighteen months ago. I am aware of the fact, however, that secretaries do not always deliver letters to men in high stations & of course I have thought nothing of it. I wrote that letter, & I write this, because I believe I was badly used, & had at that time, & have now, an abiding confidence that your sense of justice would impel you to see me righted.

            I was appointed under Mr. [President Millard] Fillmore to a place in the Pension Bureau. From thence I was advanced to the Chief Draughtsman’s place in the General Land Office. When Mr. [President Franklin Pierce] came into power, I being an old line Whig was advised by Mr. John Wilson who was at that time Commissioner to resign my position as Chief Draughtsman in favor of Captain [Alexander] Bielaski a Democrat, and subside into an assistant. During Mr. [President James] Buchanan’s administration, I was persecuted on account of my opinions in favor of the emancipation of the slaves. I was drawn up before Mr. Commissioner [Thomas A.] Hendricks and catechized as to my opinions on that subject. I avowed myself to be a Free Soiler. How it came to pass that I was not immediately dismissed I know not -- I suppose, I was reserved to be sacrificed under your administration – to be decapitated by those who entertained the same opinions as myself. I have been a Free Soiler for thirty years. I became obnoxious to my friends in Virginia on that account; & when your Excellency was elected President upon that basis, I rejoiced, and was amongst the first to take the Oath of Allegiance to your Government. I have been true to it ever since. I was grey-headed & poor; yet, your Secretary of the Interior put a man into my place who could not draw, & cast me out into the world to earn my living as I could. Some member of Congress wanted my place for a friend, and in spite of the remonstrances of Mr. Commissioner [James M.] Edmonds, the Secretary cast me out.

With great esteem,
I have the honor to remain,
your obedient servant
Harvey Michel
           
For appointment [notation on outside of letter]

Mr. Harvey Michel
For appointment
Jan. 6th, 1865

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires