Tuesday, October 30, 2018

John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, Page 61

[John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, page 61. Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing scans of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source. This is my rough transcription. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

Mother and I Eat a very good & hearty breakfast, ham & Eggs etc at 4 1/2 o'cl[o]ck AM

Got the conductor to procure a stove & put in cars, here a cold-frost.

Off. Morning really glorious in the emphatic sense of the term.  

Last night napped not a catnap. Nevertheless, feel good, better than for months. Talk with passengers about the shape of the state of Indiana. Boot with large leg, small foot. Fact just opposite, large feet & small legs, the girls I mean, as far as I have seen.

But here we are, over the Wabash, & hence in Illinois. If first impressions last, I shall love the Sucker state. More massive and splendid foliage I never saw. It is strange, that thus far, the western huge trees have always lain to my north or south -- this is the first "grand old woods" since I left Wash[ington].

Find in smoking car, old man with pipe never in cars before, as I suppose. Sensed. Conclude to get [to be continued.]   

[John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).
Mother = Charlotte Stocker Binckley (1788-1877).]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires