Wednesday, October 24, 2018

John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, Page 59

[John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, page 59. Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing scans of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source. This is my rough transcription. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

Canada, next time. Replied that any where but here & through "this abominable Indiana."

4 June 1859. After midnight, fix Mother up comfortable as possible. I cannot persuade her to lean on me, she is too nervous to allow herself to relax her muscles. Off again at last.

Conductor & I have a long talk of routes etc., clever & courteous fellow, as all have been, but that clockpeddling scoundrel beyond Zanesville, who will hereafter have better breeding. The Conductor lets me know that by lying over at Newark, I shall most probably miss connection at Pana Ills. [Illinois] & that by starting at 3 o'cl[oc]k from Washington, I threw myself upon this series of accommodation trains, instead of a through train from Belleaire [Bellaire] to Terre Haute.

Fix Mother as warm as possible & go forward to baggage car, where a fire. I put in trunk Everything of [?] kind, never supposing I should want anything but a linen coat. Now, I am obliged to get at my trunk & get out coat, do so.  

[John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).
Mother = Charlotte Stocker Binckley (1788-1877)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires