Thursday, August 9, 2018

John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, Page 17

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Martinsville Shops circa 1858 (Wiki Commons)
[John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, page 17. Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing scans of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source. This is my rough transcription.]

[continued] that own the parting ray! But Mary has restored the flush Still slumbering in the past, And after all my saddened years, I find I'm young at last. Oh stay! Oh, stay! My wild glad youth! Oh leave my breast no more! But linger linger in my years your radiance still to pour! I still may hope while still I love. Some dying youth detain, Though when I thought ere yet I wrote, I . . . never hoped again.

Streams run westward here on frogs croaking with a music I very much Enjoy I pass up the mountain . . . slope in the calm twilight, with a multitude of gentle thoughts, and a soothing sense of repose.

Martinsburg. Here we take supper. It is dark or nearly. Mother declines to get up for tea. I get out, & send her however, a cup of tea into the cars. Supper good. . . in the smoking car have a . . . time all alone. After while, start back, but return stopped by locked doors. Opened soon,  & return to Mother. She is in the [to be continued.] 
[John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).
Mother =  Charlotte Stocker Binckley (1788-1877).] 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires