Thursday, August 2, 2018

John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, Page 16

[John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, page 16. Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing scans of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source. This is my rough transcription.]

[(] for they are a Maryland family) is seen out of the window. The boys are hungry, and talk about the big snake they just killed, and Sally is wondering why Papa stops at that time, when supper is getting cool.

The schoolmaster with patient composure composure explains a vexed question in . . ., and has an eye on Sally as she points at the window, with such reveries as one is not much surprised at, for that's what he is down South for.

Now comes over in a feeling of expression and exultation vert rarely my experience there always my blood flies first, my youth comes back, I feel the pulse of joy. I know my heart has older grown Since pulsing for a boy; yet now it flings its riches out upon the twilight air, And brings back thoughts and trills of old That still, still linger there. Oh lifel glad life! Why is it so That I alone grown gray, Ere yet my boyhood darkens gleam. That [to be continued.]

[John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).] 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires