Wednesday, July 26, 2017

James Steptoe to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie, July 19 and 25, 1815

Federal Hill, near New London, Virginia. Virginia Department of Historic Resources
[James Steptoe [at Federal Hill, Virginia,] to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie near Rose’s Mill, Nelson County, Virginia, July 19 and 25, 1815. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

Dear Sally,

I have received yours of the 8th of this month. Having been unexpectedly, and unavoidably, detained at Home, so late this Summer, I find that I cannot now visit the warm Springs this Season, and stay there the length of time I would wish, for less than six weeks. I cannot think of staying.

I must therefore try to defend myself against my Rheumatic Complaints, as well as I can next Winter, and take an early start in the Summer. should I be so lucky as to weather the cold storms of the winter.

If nothing unusual happens, I think you will see me at Colo. Massie's between the first and the fifteenth of the next month.

                                                               Yr. affect. Father 
                                                                 Ja. Steptoe
                                                                    July 19, 1815

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dear Sally,

I have at last determined to make an effort to get over to the Warm Springs, and shall set off in three days.

I expect to be at Home by the first of September and count upon it as a thing certain, that I shall find you at my House on my return Home.

Present my most respectful compliments to Colo. Massie and assure him that I shall see him in Nelson, if alive, am able to Travel, before the setting in of the Frost next Autumn.

                                                                Yr. affect. Father
                                                                  Ja. Steptoe
                                                                     July 25, 1815

[Sally = Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828), who was married to William Massie (1795-1862) and was the daughter of James Steptoe (1750-1826). There is a massive Massie collection at the University of Texas here.

James Steptoe (1750-1826), whose home base was “Federal Hill.” Harvey Mitchell (1799-1866) later painted his portrait here. See this link. The Federal Hill estate was located very close to New London and also Lynchburg, Virginia; about three miles or so away from Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Was in Bedford County, but now it’s in Campbell County. Picture here.]


[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires