Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Frances Callaway Steptoe to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie, June 25, 1815

[Frances Callaway “Fanny” Steptoe at Federal Hill, Virginia, to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie near Rose’s Mill, Nelson County, Virginia, June 25, 1815. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

                                                         Federal Hill, June 25th 1815

I am truly sorry of your indisposition as I shall loose [lose] the pleasure of your visit and not only for that, but on your own account, if you think you will not be able to come up before Papa goes to the springs, which he will do immediately after harvest, I will go down and stay a week or two with you as I am so very anxious to see you. 

No doubt but you have been surprised at my not writing to you before this; believe me Sally it is not for the want of an inclination but for the want of nice paper to write on.

My letter is short, news is scarce; and my paper is bad.

Adieu my dear sister and believe me to be affectionately yours
                                                                            Frances Steptoe

[Sally = Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828), who was married to William Massie (1795-1862) and was the daughter of James Steptoe (1750-1826). There is a massive Massie collection at the University of Texas here.

Frances Callaway “Fanny” Steptoe (1798-1832), sixteen years old (nearly seventeen) when she wrote this letter. On March 13, 1816, she would marry Henry Scarsbrook Langhorne (1790-1854).

Papa = James Steptoe (1750-1826), whose home base was “Federal Hill.” Harvey Mitchell (1799-1866) later painted his portrait here. See this link. The Federal Hill estate was located very close to New London and also Lynchburg, Virginia; about three miles or so away from Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Was in Bedford County, but now it’s in Campbell County. Picture here.]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires