Friday, May 19, 2017

Frances Callaway “Fanny” Steptoe to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie, March 11, 1815

Federal Hill, near New London, Virginia. Virginia Department of Historic Resources
[Frances Callaway “Fanny” Steptoe at Federal Hill, Virginia, to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie near Rose’s Mill, Nelson County, Virginia, March 11, 1815. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

                                                         Federal Hill  March 11th 1815
My dear Sister

I have delayed writing to you for several mails on account of company Sister Betsey’s children are here at present; but I can’t postpone writing to you until another mail, any longer I figure to myself you are quite anxious to hear from us.

Brother William and his Lady have never been to see us yet. I have been their [there] twice to see them; they were invited here on Sunday last from the Academy but would not come; I had a dinner got for them and Sister Betsey and myself invited a good many people to come home with us, but no person would come, so we went up to the forest, and dined with Mrs. Morris Miller.

Mrs. Butler and sister Betsey have been staying with Lucy for a week past waiting for an increase but she has not got one yet she expects one every hour I believe.

Sally, I never missed any person half as much as I have you; whenever I go up stairs I try and prevail on myself that you are up there; it is with a very full heart that I tell you them most of my tears are shed for you. I do not think in the course of my life I ever had such feelings as I had last Monday at Flat Creek old Mrs. Watts was talking of Alice and says see how the girls have scattered about; those that were married in Bedford; I immediately thought of you and could not control my tears, Papa frequently talks of you and I observe his heart is very full talking of you the other morning he observed he thought it a blessing never to have children. Give my love to Mr. Massie –
           And believe me to be ever sincere to one whom I love.
                                                      Frances Steptoe

[My Dear Sister = Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828), who was married to William Massie (1795-1862) and was the daughter of James Steptoe (1750-1826). There is a massive Massie collection at the University of Texas here.
Frances Callaway “Fanny” Steptoe (1798-1832), sixteen years old when she wrote this letter. On March 13, 1816, she would marry Henry Scarsbrook Langhorne (1790-1854).
Brother William and his Lady = William Steptoe (1791-1860) and Elizabeth Cole Steptoe (1789-1847), married since 1808.
Sister Betsey = Elizabeth Prentiss “Betsey” Steptoe Johnston (1783-1820). She had married Charles Johnston (1769-1823) on New Year’s, 1806-1807. By the time of this letter, there were six very young children in tow.
Mrs. Morris Miller = Not sure who this is.
Mrs. Butler = Not sure who this is.
Lucy = Lucinda “Lucy” Steptoe Penn (1795-1878), who had married Robert Cowan Penn (1789-1856) on June 15, 1814.
Old Mrs. Watts = probably related in some way to Elizabeth Breckenridge Watts (1794-1862), who married General Edward Watts (1779-1859) of “Oaklands” in 1810. Watts family correspondence can be found at the University of Virginia Special Collections here. Additional primary sources, such as "Deed between Henry S. Langhorne and Frances, his wife, and Edward Watts for the sale of a tract of land in Botetourt County" (April 1828) can be found here.
Alice = Alice Watts, presumably.
Papa = James Steptoe (1750-1826), whose home base was “Federal Hill.” Harvey Mitchell (1799-1866) later painted his portrait here. See this link. The Federal Hill estate was located very close to New London and also Lynchburg, Virginia; about three miles or so away from Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Was in Bedford County, but now it’s in Campbell County. Picture here.
Federal Hill = James Steptoe estate very close to New London and also Lynchburg, Virginia; about three miles or so away from Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Was in Bedford County, but now it’s in Campbell County. Picture here.]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires