Friday, August 26, 2016

Algernon Sidney Johnston to Charles Clement Johnston, July 31, 1831

Algernon Sidney Johnston at Columbia, South Carolina, to Charles Clement Johnston at Abingdon, Virginia, July 31, 1831, folder 52, Trigg-Floyd Collection, Special Collections, John Cook Wyllie Library, The University of Virginia's College at Wise -- formerly Clinch Valley College -- Wise, Virginia. This is my rough transcription]. 

Dear Charles,

I have never fully answered your letter rec'd last winter in which you proposed that I should return to Virg[ini]a and reestablish myself there with the assistance which you could give me. That generous offer I have thus far only tacitly declined. It is time that I should give you my reasons. In the first place I never will again subject you or any one else to the slightest risk on my account. In your country the merchant's business, on account of the bartering & crediting system, requires a larger capital than it does elsewhere, and is liable to so many accidents and inconveniences which can only be repaired or guarded against by the man of means, that I dare not attempt it when the consequences of failure would fall not upon myself but upon another. I think it quite likely, too, that with Colo. Preston's assistance I can fall upon something more advantageous here than anything I can do in Virg[ini]a. There is also another cause which renders it necessary that I should remain here for some little while longer. As I owe some of the Northern merchants, a suit is occasionally brought against me -- whether I can pay or not it is proper that I should be here to answer to my name.

I will not go at anything which will merely afford me a support -- about that alone I care nothing and can be under no difficulty. My object is to pay my debts and whether to affect that requires a year or a lifetime, my soul will know no other thought hope or purpose untill [sic] it is accomplished.

Edward wrote to you not long ago to ask you to raise 5 or 600 dollars, for us. I suppose he explained the matter to you fully, as Colo. Preston last winter, and I 3 or 4 months ago, had also done. I will not now endeavor to apologize for, or explain, applying to you for this money, when we already owe you so much -- it is enough that we have no other resource, and that if it is not raised, the consequence to us is dishonor -- we hope that we may be able to return it to you in a year or so Colo. Preston can explain the whole matter to you verbally.

There is an affair to be decided to morrow the result of which may possibly be such as to give me abundant employment. If it should be so I will soon write to you again.

I have perceived from Jane's & sister Louisa's letters that they somewhat expected to see me this summer. Scarcely for Virginia and all which it inherits would I now shew my face among you. How could I appear in my father's presence, how could I approach my mother's grave, with debt on my conscience, and therefore something like dishonour on my name? If I ever again tread my native hills and sleep beneath the paternal roof, it will not be untill [sic] I am free as when I left them. I might very well have visited you for a month or two, but that the feeling I have mentioned I found difficult to overcome -- meanwhile in the last 2 or 3 months I have paid 2 or 300$ of debt to booksellers by sending them a parcel of mawkish poetry, and extravagant fictions draped up in still more extravagant prose.

I have also written about half a book (rather a short one) which I intend to be my chef ouevre. I absolutely will be apt to publish it if I do not get at something else shortly which may give me employment and occupy my unquiet spirit. It is a political satire in which myself, Clay, Webster, the Devil &tc, are the chief personages, and the Yankees are heartily abused.

I am, dear Charles, most affectionately, &tc

A S Johnston

[Algernon Sidney Johnston (1801-1852)
Charles Clement Johnston (1795-1832)
Colo. Preston = William Campbell Preston (1794-1860)
Edward = Edward William Johnston (1799-1867)
5 or 600 dollars = equivalent to about $13,000 to $16,000 in 2016
Jane = Jane Mary Wood Johnston (1811-1892)
Louisa = Louisa Smith Bowen Johnston (1800-1873)
My father's presence = Peter Johnston, Jr. (1763-1831)
My mother's grave = Mary Valentine Wood Johnston (1769-1825)
I have also written about half a book = the draft of Memoirs of a Nullifier; Written by Himself. By a Native of the South. Columbia, S.C.: Printed and Published at the Telescope Office, 1832.
Clay = Henry Clay (1777-1852)
Webster = Daniel Webster (1782-1852)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires