Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Letter from Wallace Fowlie, January 7, 1989

Letter from Professor Wallace Fowlie:

[Durham, North Carolina]
7 Jan. 1989

Dear Erik, I am answering immediately to thank you for your good letter and the two pieces enclosed in it: your piece and Kerouac's.

I do appreciate your questions -- let me try to answer some of them and then hope for a meeting with you soon.

The Proust talk went well, I think. Roger Shattuck spoke in October and I in November. No, Germaine Brée did not speak. I would read Tropic of Capricorn before Black Spring. That is the better order. 

I am now preparing my course on Dante which begins next week. Pre-enrollment was 320. I have kept 120 and had to drop 200. 

The fourth memoir is being considered by Duke Press. 

I am glad to have the Kerouac poem -- but do not like it . . . (My Olivetti is wearing out -- sorry.)  I imagine he jotted down facts from Starkie's biography and then listed them . . .

On the other hand, your piece (Curiosity) is excellent! It is new and fresh and witty. Enjoyed the Nappy-Jim section.

I go to Sewanee end of January to give a new version of my Rimbaud-Morrison talk,

Alas, I did not see Bob Dylan in Chapel Hill. Have you seen Shelton's biography of Dylan? A few references to me there.

Kilmartin is the new translation of Proust, based on Scott Moncrieff. Richard Howard has begun a newer translation. 

The best translation of Alcools is by Anne Hyde Greet (U. of Ca. Press). You probably know it.

I hope we can meet again soon. Call me if you see any free time ahead of you.

Bonne Année

I apologize for the appearance of this note. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires