Monday, August 31, 2015

Letter from Wallace Fowlie, August 1, 1988

Letter from Wallace Fowlie (1908-1998) at Durham, North Carolina, August 1, 1988.

Dear Erik,

I enjoyed reading about your hiking trip in England and Scotland. Many of my students and friends have been in Europe this summer. I have been house-sitting in Chapel Hill for friends who went to France. I imagine I will be there until the beginning of my course, four weeks from today.


Congratulations on your acceptance to UNC Library School. I am glad you plan to continue working at Duke Public Documents. It will be a busy year for you. 


I have often thought of your good visit here and of the many interests we have in common. I look forward to seeing Kerouac's Rimbaud poem. (I have one of those Cocteau plates -- but [it] was not as expensive as the one you saw in York).


It has been a long hot summer here -- and another month to go! I have been preparing my Proust course and working on my Proust talk for Birmingham in November. Each day I type -- painfully -- four or five pages of what I hope will be volume four of my memoirs. Also I have been giving private French lessons to three very pleasant fellows who intend to use French in their profession: a law student (for international law), a medical student (for the American Hospital in Paris), and a high school French teacher. . . . Through all of this I have missed Europe.

your hand (as Mallarmé used to write at the end of his letters) -


Wallace Fowlie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires