Monday, December 10, 2018

John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, Page 64

[John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, page 64. Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing scans of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source. This is my rough transcription. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

he does not undertake to stop the iron horse, by an undignified attack. Mitchell would have read in his countenance unmistakable confidence in his power to destroy and consciousness of his mercy in sparing the train.

I stand on the platform, the speed is tremendous, behind time a good road here.

The boundaries vast of the Grand Prairie cuts forward before me, I feel the bracing air, keen and cold, and with a head wind, almost capable of blowing down.

I stand, hat off & hair blown almost off my head, & my feelings are roused as if something glorious were about to absorb me and waken those deep passions which only public joy or danger can awaken in the bosom of patriots and natives.

I never was so proud of my country, not that this displays, but that it suggests all the glories of our sublime governmental fabric.

Dudley, a town in the Prairie, prairie flowers, in all sorts, varieties . . .

[Mitchell = probably Harvey Mitchell (1799-1866).
John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires