Wednesday, October 17, 2018

John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, Page 54

[John Milton Binckley, June 1859 Travel Diary, page 54. Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration; specifically to William for providing scans of the original document, and in turn many thanks to Peter Johnston Binckley and Patricia D'Arcy "Trish" Binckley (1951-2007), at the source. This is my rough transcription. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

washtub, and about as convenient to carry as a bake oven -- more may be in, but while all the women are, only some of the bandboxes may be visible.

Night -- Mother more composed & patient. How distressing to in one whose pains are mine, it is, to me to see them impatient, fidgety & uneasy. Happen to think about means of securing safety in passing into cars. Think were it not for fashion, I should travel ever with knapsack, cars or elsewhere.

Germantown Indiana, town not visible in the dark. Night is now complete, & little is left to amuse. A hat is swinging in the roof of the cars. How easily, I think, could I make myself undesirable and suffer intolerable annoyance, were I to indulge what I perceive is this moment a growing feeling to watch that hat?

"Cambridge city," look out, I see nothing, ought to be a Depot. Get out to see it, not a light in it. Fall over boxes, barrels etc. Glad to get back. Offer the "city" population money to buy a lamp for Depot.  

[to be continued.]

[John Milton Binckley (1831-1878).
Mother = Charlotte Stocker Binckley (1788-1877)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires